RE: [hackers-il] RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:shlomif@...]

      [snip]

      > [1] - I don't expect to ever become as good as a native English speaker, who
      > is keen on mastering his native language, but I wish to become as close as
      > possible. A person should always have ambitious goals.

      An English speaker 'keen on mastering his native English' you cannot beat, but
      you can definitely beat the avarage Joe, and even the Joe at the 90th precentile.
      I have been told my (spoken) English beats most of Americans', and I am willing
      to bet my written English skills exceeds even that. It's very much possible. Don't
      dispair :-)

      If you mentioned the m-w.com site, you might want to subscribe to the "m-w word
      of the day", and "m-w buzzword of the day". You will get a daily email with a new
      dictionary word, some etymology, nice stuff. You'd be surprized how many time
      you'd come across a word that you recall from the Word of the Dat. After you
      subscribe you may want to switch to the text version, which contains 0%
      commercials (except for the obvious plug for the m-w dictionary). I've pasted the
      body of today's Word of the Day below.

      Other than that, Chen's method is time-tested and works. It's generic name is
      "flash cards", not to be confused with "flash memory cards". I have seen some
      commercial English flash-cards floating around [1]. A quick search over the net
      provides a palm open-source project [2] that generates flash cards. I didn't see
      any open-source PC ones but I guess if you dig hard enough you can find them.

      -- Arik

      [1] http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=flash-cards+english&btnG=Search+Froogle
      [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/oboeru/

      Brush up on the careers of Washington, Lincoln, and other
      U.S. presidents in Merriam-Webster's Biographical Dictionary.
      http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/book.pl?biog.htm&9/

      The Word of the Day for February 11 is:

      excoriate \ek-SKOR-ee-ayt\ verb
      *1 : to wear off the skin of : abrade
      2 : to censure scathingly

      Example sentence:
      "A day of arduous toil, that might excoriate a lady's palm,
      would make no sensible impression on that of a hardy ploughman."
      (Anne Bronte, _Agnes Grey_)

      Did you know?
      "Excoriate," which first appeared in English in the 15th
      century, comes from "excoriatus," the past participle of the
      Late Latin verb "excoriare," which means "to strip off the
      hide." "Excoriare" was itself formed from a pairing of the Latin
      prefix "ex-," meaning "out," and "corium," meaning "skin"
      or "hide" or "leather." "Corium" has several other descendants
      in English. One is "cuirass," a name for a piece of armor that
      covers the body from neck to waist (or something, such as bony
      plates covering an animal, that resembles such armor). Another
      is "corium" itself, which is sometimes used as a synonym
      of "dermis" (the inner layer of human skin).

      *Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

      You Are Subscribed As: ARIKB@...

      To subscribe to the html version of Merriam-Webster's Word of
      the Day, featuring audio pronunciations, interactive surveys,
      and more:
      http://www.startsampling.com/sm/wod/changeofaddress.iphtml

      (c) 2004 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

      *mf mwt 021104 ARIKB at vidius.nospam.please.co.il mf*
      This email and attachments have been scanned for
      potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

      PortAuthority(TM) Server
      Keeping Information Inside
      Vidius, Inc.
      www.vidius.com