FW: Local delivery MTA and Return-Path

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2004
      Hello hackers

      After a recent thread [1] the SPF [2] mailing list, I'd like to conduct
      a small survey among some people I know regarding the Return-Path: header.

      For those that have forgotten, the Return-Path header is supposed to be
      added to an RFC-2822 message when the message leaves the SMTP (RFC-2821)
      system. It is supposed to preserve the envelope sender of the message,
      and RFC-2821 section 4.4 tells us that compliant MTAs MUST do this.

      Hence my survey: I'd like to know which MTAs comply with RFC-2821 to the
      extent of adding the Return-Path header to the message. If you can be so
      kind and write me back the following data:

      1. MTA brand and version
      2. Does the MTA add the Return-Path header to INBOUND mail messages

      I'd be grateful, and so will the people on the SPF mailing list. The
      reason for this header's importance is that SPF relies on the envelope
      sender for its tests, and if a user-mode utility that does SPF is to be
      developed, it needs to know what the envelope sender was.

      Thanks in advance.

      -- Arik

      [1] http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss@.../200401/1178.html
      [2] http://spf.pobox.com

      This email and attachments have been scanned for
      potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

      PortAuthority(TM) Server
      Keeping Information Inside
      Vidius, Inc.
      www.vidius.com