Re: [hackers-il] Book Review: The Age of Spiritual Machines

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
      On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 06:29:06PM +0200, Orna Agmon wrote:

      > I think, out of all those tasks that a computer needs to be able to do in
      > order to pass the Turing test, the humor part is the most difficult. Humor
      > changes between places and times. I wonder, what defines humor?

      There is an excellent science fiction story, where the main question
      is what makes humans laugh? In order to not give the story away, I'll
      just mention that it ends with the alien / entity that was looking for
      the answer to the above question laughing, and laughing, and
      laughing... Anyone knows what story I'm thinking about?

      > Can anyone draw a plan as to how to teach a computer to laugh? Say we
      > define laugh as print "LOL", and define smile as print ":)". How would a
      > computer know when to print any of those, and when to operate an Eliza
      > program?

      Judging by IRC or AOL, randomly would do just fine ;-)
      --
      Muli Ben-Yehuda
      http://www.mulix.org | http://mulix.livejournal.com/

      "the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - gccbot@#offtopic
    • Orna Agmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2003
        On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

        > On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 06:29:06PM +0200, Orna Agmon wrote:
        >
        > > I think, out of all those tasks that a computer needs to be able to do in
        > > order to pass the Turing test, the humor part is the most difficult. Humor
        > > changes between places and times. I wonder, what defines humor?
        >
        > There is an excellent science fiction story, where the main question
        > is what makes humans laugh? In order to not give the story away, I'll
        > just mention that it ends with the alien / entity that was looking for
        > the answer to the above question laughing, and laughing, and
        > laughing... Anyone knows what story I'm thinking about?

        I was thinking of a story by Asimov, which involves Multivac, but I don't
        think it is this one.