RE: [hackers-il] Re: Gems of the Technion [was Re: My Opinion about the Technion ]

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 3, 2003
      On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Ofir Carny wrote:

      > <shlomif>
      > Computer Science started out and was developed for formulating and
      > theorizing the programming and computing processes. The amount of research
      > in the field of CS was miniscule and isolated before the 20th century.
      > Programming is the practical implementation and realization of computer
      > science. There are pure theoreticans in any field, but I tend to respect
      > people who also like to see some discoveries materialized.
      > </shlomif>
      >
      > Not true, computers were a by-product of computer science (or more
      > accurately, the science of computation), Turing and Newman did their
      > majority of work without them.

      Correct, but they were still inspired by the primitve computers of their
      time. During that time there were already computers or computational
      machines developed in Europe. And Babbage developed his analytical engine
      a long time before Turing.

      There's an English saying that "necessity is the mother of invention".
      > Programming is at most, like light bulb
      replacement, a technical work, not a science. Computer science is called so for a reason. You don't go to the technion to learn how to program, there are adequate courses for that which do not require 3-4 years.

      > -------
      > Ofir Carny
      > Design engineer
      > Vidius Israel Ltd.
      > Hasadna 13, Ra'anana, Israel
      > Telephone: +972 (9) 7439250 Ext. 211
      > Fax: +972 (9) 7439251
      > ofir@...
      > http://www.vidius.com
      >
      > PortAuthority(tm) Server
      > Keeping Information Inside
      >
      > This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying attachments contain confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please immediately delete the E-mail and notify the sender at the above E-mail address.

      An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
      doctors away.

      Falk Fish