Translations [Was Re: Gems of the Technion [was Re: [hackers-il] My Opinion about theTechnion ]]

  • Ofir Carny
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      <shlomif>
      Naturally, this is a human mistake, but the course staff should have known
      better than to teach students that. That same staff kept calling
      directories "mehitzuth", which is actually partitions in Hebrew. Will
      wonders ever cease?
      </shlomif>

      Actually that was a fairly accepted (and as you saw, in some places still is) translation until directories where starting to be called folders. You have a tendency to expect a translation to be seperable a 1:1 relation between words, which is apparent in your translations, but even automatic translators have sometimes passed that level (although not by much), even if that was so, words often have many, and sometimes conflicting meanings. Some people use the word sifriya (confusable with library), some tikiya (confusable with folder, which is not that bad, but still), sadly the official word is madrikh (whose only value is being the literal translation of the word directory) I consider it the worst possible option, some even use it. I don't consider the course staff deficient because of this.

      Partition is only translated as mekhitza in the building sense anyway, AFAIK, the is no official translation for disk partition.