Releasing a project.

  • Tzahi Fadida
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2003
      Hello all,
      I wish to release a project under LGPL, and i am searching for a suitable free
      service like sourceforge, etc..
      Anyone can recommend one?

      * - * - *
      Tzahi Fadida
      MSc Student
      Information System Engineering Area
      Faculty of Industrial Engineering & Management
      Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
      Technion City, Haifa, Israel 32000
      Email TzahiFadida@...
      Technion Email: Tzahi@...
      * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

      WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html
    • guy keren
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2003
        On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Tzahi Fadida wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I wish to release a project under LGPL, and i am searching for a suitable free
        > service like sourceforge, etc..
        > Anyone can recommend one?

        "like sourceforge"? then why not "sourceforge"? it is useable. it has its
        ups and downs. i haven't used it in a long while (neglected working on the
        project that's hosted there long ago), but wen i used it, it was ok. i
        won't say "great", but the CVS respository mostly worked ok (and they
        only support CVS, not any other revision control system). the mailing
        lists function properly. making a release is not that hard, and there's
        documentation on how to do that. we used the bug-reporting system
        internally, to manage bugs we found while testing and developing the code.
        the same goes for the task list - thought it was less used, as often
        keeping a 'TODO' file directly on the PC is much easier (and faster) to
        use, then a web-based system.

        if you don't like sourceforge, you could check berlios.de, and GNU's
        savanah (http://savannah.nongnu.org for non-GNU projects,
        http://savannah.gnu.org for GNU projects). i used neither of them.

        --
        guy

        "For world domination - press 1,
      • Tzafrir Cohen
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:15:06PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I wish to release a project under LGPL, and i am searching for a suitable free
          > service like sourceforge, etc..
          > Anyone can recommend one?

          For a list:

          http://dmoz.org/Computers/Open_Source/Hosting/

          I know that people so use mainly SourceForge, but also Berlios and
          Savannah. Berlios seem to host many CD distributions lately. I figure
          they provide more disk space.

          I've also seen some projects hosted in Sunsite.dk and some in Tigris.org
          .

          (As for why not SorceForge? The main reason I can think of is that there
          are enough projects that quite depend on SourceForge already, and some
          diversity won't harm anybody).

          --