Re: [hackers-il] The shame of Technion's EE Web site

  • Tzafrir Cohen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2003
      On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:55:54PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Omer Zak wrote:
      >
      > > When version 0.9.9 of Mozilla is used to browse
      > >
      > > http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/
      > >
      > > The following error message is seen:
      > >
      > > Netscape4 version only
      > >
      > > The page does not even claim to support only IE...
      > >
      > > Disclaimer: I didn't check what happens if Mozilla 1.4 is used.
      >
      > The same thing happens with Mozilla 1.4, and the page is still displayed
      > incorrectly. Strangely enough, if you use Netscape 7, (which is based
      > on Mozilla) the page would be displayed perfectly fine. (don't ask me why).

      Maybe the server sends the menu page based on the browser. The name of
      the menu frame page is menu_ns4_e.html . Maybe later someone added a
      check to the server to refer a browser with a user-agent string of
      mozilla 7 to a different page. Mozilla uses a different user-agent
      string (mozilla 5)

      > This is an old problem and it's a real shame. The homepage once worked
      > only with MSIE and NN4, and then I reported it and it was fixed to work
      > with Mozilla and Konqueror again. Now, it exhibits such a problem again.
      >
      > This is ironic especially considering that the web-site for the Computer
      > Science department and all the web sites for the courses I checked, are
      > perfectly clean and portable HTML, which can be viewed well on all
      > browsers. The EE department web-site has seen several incarnations. One
      > was clean and nice, but not very attractive. The other one was more
      > clunky, but could still work with a lot of browsers, and the third was
      > this non-portable DHTML mess.

      Is webcourse.cs.technion.ac.il available from the outside?

      --