Re: Philosophy Unhacked (was: RE: [hackers-il] Monkey Trial)

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 2, 2000
      On Wed, Jul 26, 2000, Omer Zak wrote about "Philosophy Unhacked (was: RE: [hackers-il] Monkey Trial)":
      > Can anyone please take the lead in stopping to rehash what the eminent and
      > the one-grush philosophers have said during the last 500 years?
      >
      > We are supposed to be hackers. By definition, hacking has the element of
      > creating something novel (new, never existed previously).

      There's something I never understand about this group: sometimes it sits
      for a week (or more) without a single post. Then someone posts about something
      that interests him (or her), be it evolution, spamming, or whatever, and
      then a dozen people get enthusiastic and write their thoughts about this
      issue, and you start getting the real feeling of a community. And then
      someone (or several people) comes along and declares that "this is not hacking"
      and everyone shuts up.

      If this is a technical-how-to-hack-group (like bugtraq, allowing only technical
      and relevant postings) then ok, but don't expect it to show much activity.
      If it is a "community" mailing list, where in this case it is a community
      of Israeli "hackers", then we should be able to talk about anything we care
      about. The volume of the mailing list should be irrelvant since I assume that
      10 messages a day can be easily handled by each of our mail filters (I assume
      we all have ones. After all, we're hackers ;) ). It's not like this mailing
      list is going to have 200 messages a day anytime soon.

      Just my own thoughts.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, Aug 2 2000, 1 Av 5760
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Energizer Bunny arrested - charged with
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 2, 2000
        > Just my own thoughts.

        And by the usual rule - my contra-thoughts:
        I started this group as a community, centered around a common interest in
        science and technology.
        Every line and thread of discussion is wellcome. Nothing is off-topic, if it
        interests people enough to generate discussion then its worth talking about
        (am I tautologing here?)

        Some topics can go on only for very short time before they begin to be
        boring and repitative. Philosophy is one of them, old flamewars are another.
        So OmerZ says this is silly, and we all stop and realise it is very silly
        indeed, and we shut up.

        C.S.