RE: [hackers-il] Linksys and freedom

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Dan Kenigsberg [mailto:danken@...]
      Subject: Re: [hackers-il] Linksys and freedom

      > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:54:50PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:
      >
      > > likely that I will add my own code. If I will, and it is useful enough, I may
      > > share it with other people who have your routers. I will release the source
      > > code, as it is protected under the GPL.
      >
      > And then, users will be less in need to upgrade your routers!
      >
      > Oops.
      >
      > So it doesn't necessarily make commercial sense (leaving legal issues asside) to
      > release source code.

      No, I think it's more akin to firmware upgrade, usually given for free from the manufacturer's site anyway.

      -- Arik
    • Gilad Ben-Yossef
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
        On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:55, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
        > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:54:50PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:
        > > likely that I will add my own code. If I will, and it is useful enough, I
        > > may share it with other people who have your routers. I will release the
        > > source code, as it is protected under the GPL.
        >
        > And then, users will be less in need to upgrade your routers!
        >
        > Oops.
        >
        > So it doesn't necessarily make commercial sense (leaving legal issues
        > asside) to release source code.

        Most people don't pay company to get functionality. They pay companies to get
        assurance. This is why releasing source code makes the perfect sense - you're
        creating a market for vouching to the quality of a product based on said
        source code.

        Gilad

        --
        Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>