Re: [hackers-il] Linksys and freedom

  • Dan Kenigsberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
      On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:54:50PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:

      > likely that I will add my own code. If I will, and it is useful enough, I may
      > share it with other people who have your routers. I will release the source
      > code, as it is protected under the GPL.

      And then, users will be less in need to upgrade your routers!

      Oops.

      So it doesn't necessarily make commercial sense (leaving legal issues asside) to
      release source code.

      --
      Dan Kenigsberg http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken ICQ 162180901
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
        > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:54:50PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:
        >
        > > likely that I will add my own code. If I will, and it is useful enough, I may
        > > share it with other people who have your routers. I will release the source
        > > code, as it is protected under the GPL.
        >
        > And then, users will be less in need to upgrade your routers!
        >
        > Oops.
        >
        > So it doesn't necessarily make commercial sense (leaving legal issues asside) to
        > release source code.

        No, I think it's more akin to firmware upgrade, usually given for free from the manufacturer's site anyway.

        -- Arik
      • Gilad Ben-Yossef
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
          On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:55, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
          > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:54:50PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:
          > > likely that I will add my own code. If I will, and it is useful enough, I
          > > may share it with other people who have your routers. I will release the
          > > source code, as it is protected under the GPL.
          >
          > And then, users will be less in need to upgrade your routers!
          >
          > Oops.
          >
          > So it doesn't necessarily make commercial sense (leaving legal issues
          > asside) to release source code.

          Most people don't pay company to get functionality. They pay companies to get
          assurance. This is why releasing source code makes the perfect sense - you're
          creating a market for vouching to the quality of a product based on said
          source code.

          Gilad

          --
          Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>