Re: [hackers-il] C books ?

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
      On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
      > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

      Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
      physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
      too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
      the pound.
      --
      Muli Ben-Yehuda
      http://www.mulix.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003
        Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

        > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
        >
        > > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
        > > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.
        >
        > Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
        > physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
        > too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
        > the pound.

        I agree, with the addition of "C, A Reference Manual" by Harbison &
        Steele. I don't think I own anything else devoted to C, nor have I
        seen anything I wanted or needed.

        --
        Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
      • Omer Musaev
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003

          I would add a "Expert C Programming - Deep C secrets" by Peter van der
          Linden to the list of C books that deserve to be owned.

          This book assumes the reader possess already pretty good C knowledge, thus I
          would refrain from recommending this book to newcomer. Nevertheless, it is
          one of the best *second* books on C.

          --
          Omer Mussaev : Software Engineer
          Mercury Interactive / APM R&D / EMS team

          Mercury Interactive Corporation
          Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results