Re: [hackers-il] C books ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
      On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, David wrote:

      > Hi all ,
      >
      > I just started studying applied ICT at my local college and we are about
      > to start learning C . I was wondering if you guys know any good books on
      > C for beginners (up to an intermediate or advanced level if possible ) .

      I learned C initially from the Turbo C++ 3.0 manual and it was the second
      language I learned after BASIC. I still would not recommend it as a book
      because it was quite brief and light on explanations.

      In any case, Prof. Kimchi of the Technion has some book recommendations:

      http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/yechiel/CS/Teaching.html

      He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
      never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

      > Thx in advance,
      >
      > David
      > Antwerp-Belgium

      An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
      doctors away.

      Falk Fish
    • Muli Ben-Yehuda
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
        On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

        > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
        > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

        Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
        physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
        too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
        the pound.
        --
        Muli Ben-Yehuda
        http://www.mulix.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003
          Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

          > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
          >
          > > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
          > > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.
          >
          > Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
          > physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
          > too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
          > the pound.

          I agree, with the addition of "C, A Reference Manual" by Harbison &
          Steele. I don't think I own anything else devoted to C, nor have I
          seen anything I wanted or needed.

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
        • Omer Musaev
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003

            I would add a "Expert C Programming - Deep C secrets" by Peter van der
            Linden to the list of C books that deserve to be owned.

            This book assumes the reader possess already pretty good C knowledge, thus I
            would refrain from recommending this book to newcomer. Nevertheless, it is
            one of the best *second* books on C.

            --
            Omer Mussaev : Software Engineer
            Mercury Interactive / APM R&D / EMS team

            Mercury Interactive Corporation
            Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results