Re: [hackers-il] C books ?

  • Exodus
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
        On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, David wrote:

        > Hi all ,
        >
        > I just started studying applied ICT at my local college and we are about
        > to start learning C . I was wondering if you guys know any good books on
        > C for beginners (up to an intermediate or advanced level if possible ) .

        I learned C initially from the Turbo C++ 3.0 manual and it was the second
        language I learned after BASIC. I still would not recommend it as a book
        because it was quite brief and light on explanations.

        In any case, Prof. Kimchi of the Technion has some book recommendations:

        http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/yechiel/CS/Teaching.html

        He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
        never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

        > Thx in advance,
        >
        > David
        > Antwerp-Belgium

        An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
        doctors away.

        Falk Fish
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
          Can you send me the URL too plz ? ;-)

          Thx in advance,

          David
          Antwerp-Belgium
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
            On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

            > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
            > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

            Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
            physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
            too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
            the pound.
            --
            Muli Ben-Yehuda
            http://www.mulix.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003
              Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

              > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
              >
              > > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
              > > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.
              >
              > Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
              > physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
              > too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
              > the pound.

              I agree, with the addition of "C, A Reference Manual" by Harbison &
              Steele. I don't think I own anything else devoted to C, nor have I
              seen anything I wanted or needed.

              --
              Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
            • Omer Musaev
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003

                I would add a "Expert C Programming - Deep C secrets" by Peter van der
                Linden to the list of C books that deserve to be owned.

                This book assumes the reader possess already pretty good C knowledge, thus I
                would refrain from recommending this book to newcomer. Nevertheless, it is
                one of the best *second* books on C.

                --
                Omer Mussaev : Software Engineer
                Mercury Interactive / APM R&D / EMS team

                Mercury Interactive Corporation
                Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results