Re: [hackers-il] C books ?

  • Exodus
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
      hey david
      i hope this will be usefull it has some good ebooks for C
      infact you can dig in the site a little and i am sure you will
      find some usefull ebooks

      Exodus.

    • Exodus
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
          On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, David wrote:

          > Hi all ,
          >
          > I just started studying applied ICT at my local college and we are about
          > to start learning C . I was wondering if you guys know any good books on
          > C for beginners (up to an intermediate or advanced level if possible ) .

          I learned C initially from the Turbo C++ 3.0 manual and it was the second
          language I learned after BASIC. I still would not recommend it as a book
          because it was quite brief and light on explanations.

          In any case, Prof. Kimchi of the Technion has some book recommendations:

          http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/yechiel/CS/Teaching.html

          He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
          never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

          > Thx in advance,
          >
          > David
          > Antwerp-Belgium

          An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
          doctors away.

          Falk Fish
        • David
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
            Can you send me the URL too plz ? ;-)

            Thx in advance,

            David
            Antwerp-Belgium

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
              On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

              > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
              > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

              Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
              physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
              too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
              the pound.
              --
              Muli Ben-Yehuda
              http://www.mulix.org
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003
                Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

                > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
                >
                > > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
                > > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.
                >
                > Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
                > physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
                > too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
                > the pound.

                I agree, with the addition of "C, A Reference Manual" by Harbison &
                Steele. I don't think I own anything else devoted to C, nor have I
                seen anything I wanted or needed.

                --
                Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
              • Omer Musaev
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003

                  I would add a "Expert C Programming - Deep C secrets" by Peter van der
                  Linden to the list of C books that deserve to be owned.

                  This book assumes the reader possess already pretty good C knowledge, thus I
                  would refrain from recommending this book to newcomer. Nevertheless, it is
                  one of the best *second* books on C.

                  --
                  Omer Mussaev : Software Engineer
                  Mercury Interactive / APM R&D / EMS team

                  Mercury Interactive Corporation
                  Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results