Re: [hackers-il] C books ?

  • Exodus
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
      hey david
      i hope this will be usefull it has some good ebooks for C
      infact you can dig in the site a little and i am sure you will
      find some usefull ebooks

      Exodus.

    • Exodus
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
      • David
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
          Hi all ,

          I just started studying applied ICT at my local college and we are about to start learning C . I was wondering if you guys know any good books on C for beginners (up to an intermediate or advanced level if possible ) .

          Thx in advance,

          David
          Antwerp-Belgium
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
            On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, David wrote:

            > Hi all ,
            >
            > I just started studying applied ICT at my local college and we are about
            > to start learning C . I was wondering if you guys know any good books on
            > C for beginners (up to an intermediate or advanced level if possible ) .

            I learned C initially from the Turbo C++ 3.0 manual and it was the second
            language I learned after BASIC. I still would not recommend it as a book
            because it was quite brief and light on explanations.

            In any case, Prof. Kimchi of the Technion has some book recommendations:

            http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/yechiel/CS/Teaching.html

            He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
            never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

            > Thx in advance,
            >
            > David
            > Antwerp-Belgium

            An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
            doctors away.

            Falk Fish
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
              Can you send me the URL too plz ? ;-)

              Thx in advance,

              David
              Antwerp-Belgium

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
                On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
                > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.

                Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
                physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
                too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
                the pound.
                --
                Muli Ben-Yehuda
                http://www.mulix.org
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003
                  Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

                  > On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:17:18PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
                  >
                  > > He recommends the Kerninghan and Ritchie book as well as "A Book on C". I
                  > > never really read them, so I can't first-hand evaluate them to you.
                  >
                  > Kernighan and Ritchie is the only C book I ever felt the need to have
                  > physically on my shelf. 'Nuff said. It's *the* book on C. It's slim,
                  > too, which is nice in this era of computer books that can be bought by
                  > the pound.

                  I agree, with the addition of "C, A Reference Manual" by Harbison &
                  Steele. I don't think I own anything else devoted to C, nor have I
                  seen anything I wanted or needed.

                  --
                  Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
                • Omer Musaev
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 23, 2003

                    I would add a "Expert C Programming - Deep C secrets" by Peter van der
                    Linden to the list of C books that deserve to be owned.

                    This book assumes the reader possess already pretty good C knowledge, thus I
                    would refrain from recommending this book to newcomer. Nevertheless, it is
                    one of the best *second* books on C.

                    --
                    Omer Mussaev : Software Engineer
                    Mercury Interactive / APM R&D / EMS team

                    Mercury Interactive Corporation
                    Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results