Re: [hackers-il] Hackers-IL Meetings

  • Exy The ....
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
      those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
      i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
      like to take a place in one of those meetings...

    • Orna Agmon
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
        On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote:

        > > 1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.
        >
        > Doing this on a monthly basis will be tiresome, and will probably create
        > subgroups (like "hacker-il subscribers who live in Tel-Aviv"). It's also
        > hard to miss work and/or change your other plans once every month for this
        > purpose....
        >
        > In the two meetings we already had (which took place at roughly a year
        > interval) we did not get anything near a full attendance. If we do this
        > monthly, the attendance will be even smaller, I think.
        >
        > But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth a try...
        >
        > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
        > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
        > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
        > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
        > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).
        >
        > > 2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.
        >
        > I believe that MosheZ once had the very intersting idea of letting many people
        > give very short talks on whatever computer-related they want. However, I'm
        > still skeptic that if we meet more than once a year you'll be able to fill
        > the meetings with content.
        > But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

        I agree that monthly meetings are too much. But I am for neither of the
        suggestions (listen to one person talk / eat). I think it would be more
        fun if we actually did something, like the bookcrossing we had last year
        (?!), like a roleplay game, like pictionary :), a costume party- something
        social in nature, and interactive, yet more special that eating and
        talking all evening just to the person next to you in the restaurant.

        Orna.
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
          On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Exy The .... wrote:

          > those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
          > i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
          > like to take a place in one of those meetings...

          sure, anyone can come we only ask for confirmation so we have a
          grasp of figures before the meeting. Age/gender/religion/etc.
          are not limited.

          Our next meeting is this Thursday 9-Oct-2003. See further details at
          http://www.perl.org.il/meeting.html

          Gabor

          --
          Gabor Szabo