Re: [hackers-il] The "Mafteach" methodology

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      Omer Zak wrote:
      > 1. For a methodology whose use is mandatory in government software
      > biddings, this methodology seems not to be discussed in open mailing
      > lists and forums. Does Methoda require users to keep secret
      > any comments and criticism on the methodology?

      Not that I know of. I never had to sign anything regarding Mafteach.
      Maybe it is included in my military vow of secrecy, but AFAIK these
      documents were not classified for BITACHON SADE so I guess I can talk
      about it.

      > 2. If there is anyone familiar with the methodology and free to speak his
      > opinion about the methodology: is it really good?

      The methodology is actually a retrofit of a DoD standard, translated to
      Hebrew. It is actually one large document, which describes your software
      project. It has many many many many sections and subsections. Not all of
      them are required.

      This document needs to be filled (you get a MS Word template) in the
      requirements phase of the software project, which produces your software
      requirements (SR) document. You than save it, and rewrite the whole
      thing at the design phase, which gives you the design document (DR). The
      life cycle of this document actually follows the lifecycle of the
      software project. The lifecycle of the project has 5 phases, which are
      (from memory) the requirements phase, the design, implementation,
      maintainance. Yes, there are 5 but I can't remember the 5th or where it
      fits.

      The advantage of using this document, is that if you acually follow
      through with it to the letter you can ask MECHON HA-TKANIM HA-ISRAELI to
      give you an ISO-9002 certification. The disadvantage is that it
      increases your operational costs (which comprise mostly of the time and
      effort of filling this document and dealing with MECHON HA-TKANIM) about
      %10 all-in-all.

      The NOHAL MAFTEACH comes on a CD, which contains mostly the MS Word
      templates and tons of help files arranged in some non-standard hypertext
      engine that explain how to fill the templates. All of the templates make
      the complete document.

      > 3. Is it compatible with the use of Free Software tools in projects, which
      > need features, which are available from Free Software tools?

      The methodology wasn't written with open-sorce in mind, but there's
      really no reason why it can't be used in an open-source environment.

      I think that mainly you'd have to invent some way of measuring the cost
      of programming, because the cost in MAFTEACH are based on the fact that
      there is an amount of programmers available and their work can be
      quantized in work-days units, but once you're over this the rest is
      down-hill.

      It is a long document and it's tiresome to fill it, but if some company
      is willing to finance the MACHON HA-TKANIM certification you can be the
      first ISO-9002 certified open-source project :-)

      Enjoy and take care,

      -- Arik
    • Ofir Carny
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        IIRC, I think the 5th is the 1st stage - Yzum (project initiation), which is a very preliminary project outline.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
          > 1. For a methodology whose use is mandatory in government software
          > biddings, this methodology seems not to be discussed in
          > open mailing
          > lists and forums. Does Methoda require users to keep secret
          > any comments and criticism on the methodology?

          I've studied this methodology in a university course.
          We discussed in length the pros and cons of it.
          I don't think there is any requirement to keep the methodology secret, its
          just very uninteresting :-)

          > 3. Is it compatible with the use of Free Software tools in
          > projects, which
          > need features, which are available from Free Software tools?

          It doesn't deal with such things at all.
          You can use whatever tools you want, as long as you document your process,
          test your results, etc.
          This methodology doesn't require any specific tools, its just specifies a
          "development cycle".
          If you do XP, you'll have a difficult time using "Mafteach". Otherwise,
          it'll probably match what you do anyway.

          Thanks,
          Chen.

          Mercury Interactive Corporation
          Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results