The "Mafteach" methodology

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      Recently I reviewed a request for biddings for software by a government
      ministry.
      I noticed that they require the use of the "Mafteach" methodology
      (developed by Methoda - http://www.methoda.co.il/).

      1. For a methodology whose use is mandatory in government software
      biddings, this methodology seems not to be discussed in open mailing
      lists and forums. Does Methoda require users to keep secret
      any comments and criticism on the methodology?
      2. If there is anyone familiar with the methodology and free to speak his
      opinion about the methodology: is it really good?
      3. Is it compatible with the use of Free Software tools in projects, which
      need features, which are available from Free Software tools?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
        Omer Zak wrote:
        > 1. For a methodology whose use is mandatory in government software
        > biddings, this methodology seems not to be discussed in open mailing
        > lists and forums. Does Methoda require users to keep secret
        > any comments and criticism on the methodology?

        Not that I know of. I never had to sign anything regarding Mafteach.
        Maybe it is included in my military vow of secrecy, but AFAIK these
        documents were not classified for BITACHON SADE so I guess I can talk
        about it.

        > 2. If there is anyone familiar with the methodology and free to speak his
        > opinion about the methodology: is it really good?

        The methodology is actually a retrofit of a DoD standard, translated to
        Hebrew. It is actually one large document, which describes your software
        project. It has many many many many sections and subsections. Not all of
        them are required.

        This document needs to be filled (you get a MS Word template) in the
        requirements phase of the software project, which produces your software
        requirements (SR) document. You than save it, and rewrite the whole
        thing at the design phase, which gives you the design document (DR). The
        life cycle of this document actually follows the lifecycle of the
        software project. The lifecycle of the project has 5 phases, which are
        (from memory) the requirements phase, the design, implementation,
        maintainance. Yes, there are 5 but I can't remember the 5th or where it
        fits.

        The advantage of using this document, is that if you acually follow
        through with it to the letter you can ask MECHON HA-TKANIM HA-ISRAELI to
        give you an ISO-9002 certification. The disadvantage is that it
        increases your operational costs (which comprise mostly of the time and
        effort of filling this document and dealing with MECHON HA-TKANIM) about
        %10 all-in-all.

        The NOHAL MAFTEACH comes on a CD, which contains mostly the MS Word
        templates and tons of help files arranged in some non-standard hypertext
        engine that explain how to fill the templates. All of the templates make
        the complete document.

        > 3. Is it compatible with the use of Free Software tools in projects, which
        > need features, which are available from Free Software tools?

        The methodology wasn't written with open-sorce in mind, but there's
        really no reason why it can't be used in an open-source environment.

        I think that mainly you'd have to invent some way of measuring the cost
        of programming, because the cost in MAFTEACH are based on the fact that
        there is an amount of programmers available and their work can be
        quantized in work-days units, but once you're over this the rest is
        down-hill.

        It is a long document and it's tiresome to fill it, but if some company
        is willing to finance the MACHON HA-TKANIM certification you can be the
        first ISO-9002 certified open-source project :-)

        Enjoy and take care,

        -- Arik
      • Ofir Carny
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
          IIRC, I think the 5th is the 1st stage - Yzum (project initiation), which is a very preliminary project outline.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
            > 1. For a methodology whose use is mandatory in government software
            > biddings, this methodology seems not to be discussed in
            > open mailing
            > lists and forums. Does Methoda require users to keep secret
            > any comments and criticism on the methodology?

            I've studied this methodology in a university course.
            We discussed in length the pros and cons of it.
            I don't think there is any requirement to keep the methodology secret, its
            just very uninteresting :-)

            > 3. Is it compatible with the use of Free Software tools in
            > projects, which
            > need features, which are available from Free Software tools?

            It doesn't deal with such things at all.
            You can use whatever tools you want, as long as you document your process,
            test your results, etc.
            This methodology doesn't require any specific tools, its just specifies a
            "development cycle".
            If you do XP, you'll have a difficult time using "Mafteach". Otherwise,
            it'll probably match what you do anyway.

            Thanks,
            Chen.

            Mercury Interactive Corporation
            Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results