Re: [hackers-il] Hackers-IL Meetings

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5 1:18 AM
      On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:47:31AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:

      > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
      > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
      > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
      > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
      > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).

      That's more hackers-il in spirit. I don't see much point in a
      hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a
      place and a date?
      --
      Muli Ben-Yehuda
      http://www.mulix.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5 7:33 AM
        those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
        i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
        like to take a place in one of those meetings...

      • Orna Agmon
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5 8:34 AM
          On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote:

          > > 1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.
          >
          > Doing this on a monthly basis will be tiresome, and will probably create
          > subgroups (like "hacker-il subscribers who live in Tel-Aviv"). It's also
          > hard to miss work and/or change your other plans once every month for this
          > purpose....
          >
          > In the two meetings we already had (which took place at roughly a year
          > interval) we did not get anything near a full attendance. If we do this
          > monthly, the attendance will be even smaller, I think.
          >
          > But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth a try...
          >
          > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
          > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
          > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
          > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
          > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).
          >
          > > 2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.
          >
          > I believe that MosheZ once had the very intersting idea of letting many people
          > give very short talks on whatever computer-related they want. However, I'm
          > still skeptic that if we meet more than once a year you'll be able to fill
          > the meetings with content.
          > But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

          I agree that monthly meetings are too much. But I am for neither of the
          suggestions (listen to one person talk / eat). I think it would be more
          fun if we actually did something, like the bookcrossing we had last year
          (?!), like a roleplay game, like pictionary :), a costume party- something
          social in nature, and interactive, yet more special that eating and
          talking all evening just to the person next to you in the restaurant.

          Orna.
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6 9:56 AM
            On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

            > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:47:31AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
            >
            > > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
            > > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
            > > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
            > > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
            > > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).
            >
            > That's more hackers-il in spirit. I don't see much point in a
            > hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a
            > place and a date?

            The question is which of the two agendas are we going to follow? How many
            favour the unorganized meeting, and how many favour something with
            presentations?

            I'm in favour of meeting at a cafe.

            An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
            doctors away.

            Falk Fish
          • Gabor Szabo
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7 2:28 AM
              On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Exy The .... wrote:

              > those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
              > i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
              > like to take a place in one of those meetings...

              sure, anyone can come we only ask for confirmation so we have a
              grasp of figures before the meeting. Age/gender/religion/etc.
              are not limited.

              Our next meeting is this Thursday 9-Oct-2003. See further details at
              http://www.perl.org.il/meeting.html

              Gabor

              --
              Gabor Szabo