Hackers-IL Meetings

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
      An idea surfaced through the Israeli Perl Mongers list in which it was
      proposed that Hackers-IL will hold regular meetings (like once a
      month).

      I think it's a great idea, and could testify that the Israeli Perl Mongers
      group really took off after we started holding meetings on a regular
      basis. This list has been a bit quiet lately, and it is possible that the
      lack of real-life activity has been decreasing its momentum.

      Possible formats for the meetings:

      1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.

      2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.

      What does everybody else think?

      An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
      doctors away.

      Falk Fish
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2003
        On Sat, Oct 04, 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Hackers-IL Meetings":

        > An idea surfaced through the Israeli Perl Mongers list in which it was
        > proposed that Hackers-IL will hold regular meetings (like once a
        > month).

        I think that such meetings are indeed fun, and I believe we held two of
        them (one at Chen's, and one at my place).

        However,

        > 1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.

        Doing this on a monthly basis will be tiresome, and will probably create
        subgroups (like "hacker-il subscribers who live in Tel-Aviv"). It's also
        hard to miss work and/or change your other plans once every month for this
        purpose....

        In the two meetings we already had (which took place at roughly a year
        interval) we did not get anything near a full attendance. If we do this
        monthly, the attendance will be even smaller, I think.

        But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth a try...

        Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
        meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
        caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
        plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
        with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).

        > 2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.

        I believe that MosheZ once had the very intersting idea of letting many people
        give very short talks on whatever computer-related they want. However, I'm
        still skeptic that if we meet more than once a year you'll be able to fill
        the meetings with content.
        But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Sunday, Oct 5 2003, 9 Tishri 5764
        Phone: +972-53-790466, ICQ 13349191 |Software is like sex, it is better when
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
          On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:47:31AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:

          > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
          > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
          > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
          > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
          > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).

          That's more hackers-il in spirit. I don't see much point in a
          hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a
          place and a date?
          --
          Muli Ben-Yehuda
          http://www.mulix.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
            those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
            i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
            like to take a place in one of those meetings...

          • Orna Agmon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
              On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote:

              > > 1. Meetings at a Cafe and just chatting and eating.
              >
              > Doing this on a monthly basis will be tiresome, and will probably create
              > subgroups (like "hacker-il subscribers who live in Tel-Aviv"). It's also
              > hard to miss work and/or change your other plans once every month for this
              > purpose....
              >
              > In the two meetings we already had (which took place at roughly a year
              > interval) we did not get anything near a full attendance. If we do this
              > monthly, the attendance will be even smaller, I think.
              >
              > But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth a try...
              >
              > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
              > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
              > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
              > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
              > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).
              >
              > > 2. Meetings at a lecturing Hall and hearing a lecture or a few small ones.
              >
              > I believe that MosheZ once had the very intersting idea of letting many people
              > give very short talks on whatever computer-related they want. However, I'm
              > still skeptic that if we meet more than once a year you'll be able to fill
              > the meetings with content.
              > But again, this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

              I agree that monthly meetings are too much. But I am for neither of the
              suggestions (listen to one person talk / eat). I think it would be more
              fun if we actually did something, like the bookcrossing we had last year
              (?!), like a roleplay game, like pictionary :), a costume party- something
              social in nature, and interactive, yet more special that eating and
              talking all evening just to the person next to you in the restaurant.

              Orna.
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
                On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

                > On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:47:31AM +0200, Nadav Har'El wrote:
                >
                > > Anyway, instead of declaring a monthly meeting, how about declaring *a*
                > > meeting, to take place next month (say), at this-and-that-place (an apartment,
                > > caffe, or whatever) with that-and-that things planned? As you make such
                > > plans, you might notice that it won't be easy to fill 12 meetings a year
                > > with content (other than the social content of meeting and eating).
                >
                > That's more hackers-il in spirit. I don't see much point in a
                > hackers-ilix club, with regular meetings. So, who wants to propose a
                > place and a date?

                The question is which of the two agendas are we going to follow? How many
                favour the unorganized meeting, and how many favour something with
                presentations?

                I'm in favour of meeting at a cafe.

                An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
                doctors away.

                Falk Fish
              • Gabor Szabo
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2003
                  On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Exy The .... wrote:

                  > those perl meetings, are they going to be open for public?
                  > i am kinda young comparing to you guys and i would really
                  > like to take a place in one of those meetings...

                  sure, anyone can come we only ask for confirmation so we have a
                  grasp of figures before the meeting. Age/gender/religion/etc.
                  are not limited.

                  Our next meeting is this Thursday 9-Oct-2003. See further details at
                  http://www.perl.org.il/meeting.html

                  Gabor

                  --
                  Gabor Szabo