recommendations for Windows driver programming resources

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2003
      Hi,

      I need pointers to good on-line and dead-tree - especially dead-tree -
      resources for modern Windows driver programming, WDM, etc. Ideal
      combination:

      * Suitable for someone with experience in OS-level programming but
      only in Linux, not in Windows. Imagine a hacker who knows next to
      nothing about Windows internals. ;-)

      * Code, APIs, and other concrete stuff is more welcome than words.

      * Modern Windows versions (XP, 2K), with emphasis on servers rather
      than desktop (e.g. printers and scanners are of no interest).

      * Network, keyboard, mouse, VGA, USB, SCSI - techniques, code, etc
      are welcome.

      Are there any open-source drivers for Windows that can be studied?

      I did my research, but found surprisingly little, and what I found
      usually has decidedly mixed reviews. This book

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618038/qid=1064230964/sr=2-2/104-3064423-1819135?v=glance&s=books

      is an example. It is also the first Google hit for "Windows driver
      programming."

      Further down the Google list there is http://www.chsw.com/ddk/, which
      may or may not be useful - it seems to end with NT.

      Et caetera, et caetera...

      Thanks in advance,

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...