Re: [hackers-il] VoIP the SIP way and NAT traversal

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2003
      Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

      >>>The 4 seconds round trip time is most likely caused by your internet
      >>>connection going via a satelite link
      >>>

      >>I rather think it's the jitter/latency compromise that the clients
      >>agree on.
      >>

      >What compromise are you talking about? If anything, network latency
      >and jitter (and packet loss) are likely to be correlated. In fact,
      >there is probably significant jitter and out-of-order arrivals that
      >get translated into extra latency to keep speech intelligible. I doubt

      Thta's the compromise I'm talking about.

      >there are any working systems that wait for 2 seconds to reorder
      >because that's way above what is considered bearable (anything above
      >250 ms one way - including packetization and re-assembly - is
      >considered unusable for practical purposes).

      No, 2 second is the time the packets need to travel one way PLUS the
      reordering latency. That being said, I had long distance calls with
      more-or-less the same roundtrip delay, out of "regular" voice lines.
      They are more than usable. After some time you just get used to it
      ("some time" defined as 10 minutes give or take).

      >>Okay I'm nuts. Kill me and be done with it.
      >>

      >You are. 4 sec RTT is not a duplex phone conversation as we know
      >it. But if your girlfriend likes the quality of conversation you
      >manage to maintain in these adverse conditions, doesn't kill you, and
      >is not done with it, who are we to judge?... ;-)

      Well, actually most phone calls I had from India from a cellphone in
      India to a cellphone in Israel have a latency close to that, and like I
      said they're usable.