Re: [hackers-il] Perl Golf

    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2003
      And here's a classic snippet to print "Prime" if a number is prime:

      perl -wle 'print "Prime" if (1 x shift) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/'

      Taken from:

      http://ucan.foad.org/~abigail/Perl/Talks/Japhs/primes2.html

      An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
      doctors away.

      Falk Fish
    • Tal Rotbart
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2003
        RE: [hackers-il] Perl Golf

        Eeek that's some ugly code :)

        Shlomi Fish        shlomif@...
        Home Page:         http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/

        An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two doctors away.

                Falk Fish

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's Important Questions. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/CNxFAA/saFolB/TM

        Mercury Interactive Corporation
        Optimizing Business Processes to Maximize Business Results

        http://www.merc-int.com ________________________________________________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2003
          On Wed, May 28, 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Perl Golf":
          > And here's a classic snippet to print "Prime" if a number is prime:
          > perl -wle 'print "Prime" if (1 x shift) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/'

          It's an interesting example of how short regular expressions, especially
          when they include Perl extensions, can have abysmal, expontential,
          performance...

          On my system, finding that 45677 is prime took 1.352 seconds (compare
          to 0 seconds for "factor 45677"). Giving this perl program the number
          "65535" dumped core.

          In short, nice trick but it should be obvious it's not useful at all for
          anything but tiny numbers.

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 28 2003, 26 Iyyar 5763
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |A Nobel Peace Prize? I would KILL for one
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2003
            On Wed, 28 May 2003, Tal Rotbart wrote:

            > Eeek that's some ugly code :)

            No it isn't. Its compact but definetely not ugly. Small is beutiful.

            There's no point in keeping an idea to yourself since there's a 10 to 1
            chance that somebody already has it and will share it before you.
          • Tal Rotbart
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28, 2003
              RE: [hackers-il] RE: Perl Golf

              Shlomi, was that a troll? :)...
              I'm recalling with a *gulp* writing "I won't get into WOL debates regarding Perl again" a hundred times on the blackboard.

              -Tal