Hosting advise

  • Ron Gidron
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
      Hi,

      I am planning a new website that is based on HTML::Mason
      (http://masonbook.com). I started to search for a hosting provider and I was
      startled by the amounts of companies out there. I am looking for an
      experienced voice. my basic demands from the server are:

      1 - Linux based (Not to familliar with FreeBSD and Solaris is out of the
      question).
      2 - Apache and mod_perl installed.(preferably with mod_perl statically
      linked and not as DSO)
      3 - SendMail (I want to mess with the SendMail configurations for some
      specific application needs)
      4 - MySQL server installed.

      Obviously I would like to have as much of the "usual" staff as I can (SSL /
      SPAM Assassin / as much bandwidth and disk space as I can get etc..)

      I would appriciate any adivce I can get, where to go ? what to look out for
      ? etc..

      Regards
      Ron Gidron
    • Tzahi Fadida
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
        If you are willing to compromise on some of the requirements you will find the free service, or paid
        if you want to remove the ads, and add some more capabilities.
        http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/
        they freely give you, php scripting, mysql, around 50mb, ftp access.
        i use it for some time now, and it is not bad.
        here is my almost completely abandoned site :( :
        http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/

        * - * - *
        Tzahi Fadida
        TzahiFadida@...
        Technion Email: Tzahi@...
        * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

        WARNING TO SPAMMERS: see at http://members.lycos.co.uk/my2nis/spamwarning.html

      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2003
          Ron Gidron wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am planning a new website that is based on HTML::Mason
          > (http://masonbook.com). I started to search for a hosting provider and I was
          > startled by the amounts of companies out there. I am looking for an
          > experienced voice. my basic demands from the server are:
          >
          > 1 - Linux based (Not to familliar with FreeBSD and Solaris is out of the
          > question).
          > 2 - Apache and mod_perl installed.(preferably with mod_perl statically
          > linked and not as DSO)
          > 3 - SendMail (I want to mess with the SendMail configurations for some
          > specific application needs)
          > 4 - MySQL server installed.
          >
          > Obviously I would like to have as much of the "usual" staff as I can (SSL /
          > SPAM Assassin / as much bandwidth and disk space as I can get etc..)
          >
          > I would appriciate any adivce I can get, where to go ? what to look out for
          > ? etc..

          I'd suggest to ask suc thing on a nearby Perl Mongers list. There at
          least they won't send you to a php hosting company when you are looking
          for mod_perl.

          I think no shared hosting company will let you do all the above so I
          think to fulfill all your needs you'll have to get a dedicated server or
          a virtual server.

          In the former case you rent a full servers somewhere, I belive the best
          deals can be as low as $100/month. I have been using www.dialtone.com
          for years but there the cheapest is $150/month.

          A virtual server is some kind of a hack on linux where you have full
          root rights, I think you can even reboot your own virtual server but
          actually there are several such virtual servers on the same machine.
          I have never used such a system but I have seen a short discussion about
          it on London.pm look at their archives.

          A third solution might be to buy a server and co-locate it at an ISP.
          IIRC Actcom provides co-location for 130 USD/month. While in this
          case you have to buy and maintain the hw as well you can build and
          co-locate any server for the same price.

          Gabor

          --
          Gabor Szabo

          Perl Training Israel http://www.pti.co.il/