Re: [hackers-il] Re: Meta: Paying for YahooGroups Hosting

  • Sagi Bashari
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2003
      On 12/01/2003 06:04, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      >>And anyway, your security concerns are not to important: what can the
      >>uber-cracker who stole your mailman-password do to you? Unsubscribe you?
      >>Send spam to the list? Wow, I'm scared :)
      >>

      >He can do whatever he pleases with this password that this interface lets
      >him. I bet someone has been harvesting all of them for a long time as we
      >speak. In any case, we can also install ezmlm, so it's not such a big
      >deal. Of course, ezmlm does not have the nice interface Yahoo Groups built
      >for it, but this can be fixed with a few hours of Perl hacking.

      Few points:
      * You can easily disable the monthly send of passwords with mailman.

      * Sending the passwords over email is just as secure as moderation over
      email, if someone can read your email he can still do anything to your
      list subscription, and probably manage the whole list if you're a
      moderator. I don't think we should worry about *that*, if it worries
      you, make sure no one does read your email.

      * Ezmlm only works with qmail.

      Sagi