Meta: Philosophy-IL has 8 members

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
      Philosophy-IL have exactly 8 members now. Hackers-IL has more member in
      its "core" group and this is not including the many lurkers and occasional
      contributors. I see two options:

      1. Merging back into Hackers-IL while making some regulations regarding
      philosophy. I don't think philosophy is a bad word, and I think the
      Hackers-IL people can effectively discuss a non-technical matter with
      style. We have already diverted into them occasionally.

      Now, re Politics. I don't want the standard "Palesitinians are bad and we
      should bombar them all" versus "We must evacuate all settlements" crap we
      hear so often. I don't mind discussing Philsopohy here on Philosophy-IL
      and did, but it has to be well-though, well-reasoned and profound. (which
      I hope I have achieved)

      2. Try and get more people to join. We can publicize in various Israeli
      forums or even abroad ones. The latter will risk this mailing list turning
      into a discussion of "Israel abuses Palestinians". This fact may be true
      to some extent, but discussing it excessively make everybody annoyed and
      indifferent. I actually invited someone (a Singaporian) to join this list
      and he refused because he believed it was specific to Israel.

      Now, I don't have a policy against not welcoming non-Israelis, and
      Hackers-IL and Linux-IL don't have this policy either. But I would like
      that problems that are specific to Israel can be freely discussed, without
      it turning into an anti/pro-Israeli flamewar. I.e: when we discussed
      voluntary army service, I'd like an American not to say something like
      "Israel is acting in an inhumane manner by forcing its sons to kill
      Palestiniants", but would very much like him to give an Analogy with
      Vietnam, and how pointless the general draft and the war was there. (since
      it underscores the fact, a nation can use a mandatory army for its
      government whims).

      <<<
      What I think can be a good idea is make sure everybody gets an army
      training, but no-one is forced to actually fight. Even in the Old
      Testament it was specified that whenever there's a war the people should
      be gathered, and asked if anyone is afraid of fighting, and whoever
      confesses to be so, can return to his home.

      What do you suggest to do?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hi,

        I strongly object to Shlomi's suggestion.

        The original agenda of hackers-il is computer related discussion. In my
        opinion, the reason hackers-il has more members is that more readers are
        interested in coputer discussion than in philosophy-politics.

        By moving philosophy into hackers-il, you will annoy or drive out the exect
        people who are interested in computers and not in philosophy.

        I fully intend to moderate any political or philosophical discussion which
        isn't related to technology.

        If any of our esteemed readers are interested in such discussion, they are
        free to join philosophy-il.

        Thanks,
        Chen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
          Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

          > I fully intend to moderate any political or philosophical discussion which
          > isn't related to technology.

          Please do.

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
          "There is nothing more practical than idealism."
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003

          • Muli Ben-Yehuda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
              On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 09:59:29AM +0200, Chen Shapira wrote:

              > > > I fully intend to moderate any political or philosophical
              > > discussion which
              > > > isn't related to technology.
              > >
              > > Please do.

              Agreed.

              ObHackersIL: Reading Cory Doctorow's Down and Under in the Magic
              Kingdom, and it's really good.

              http://craphound.com/down/
              --
              Muli Ben-Yehuda

              my opinions may seem crazy. But they all make sense. Insane sense, but
              sense nontheless. -- Shlomi Fish on #offtopic.
            • Adir Abraham
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
                Hi Shlomi,

                Although I'm usually a watcher here, I will post my opinion about what you
                said:

                On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                > Philosophy-IL have exactly 8 members now. Hackers-IL has more member in
                > its "core" group and this is not including the many lurkers and occasional
                > contributors. I see two options:
                >
                > 1. Merging back into Hackers-IL while making some regulations regarding
                > philosophy. I don't think philosophy is a bad word, and I think the
                > Hackers-IL people can effectively discuss a non-technical matter with
                > style. We have already diverted into them occasionally.

                Philosophy isn't a bad word, but it's not the main interest in here. Some
                discussions may become philosophical, but not necessarily about
                philosophy, and "philosophy" is not what we're talking about, but about
                programming "better" (it's all relative, ofcourse), and about the way to
                do that creatively. By saying "philosophy-IL", you spread the main purpose
                of this mailing list, and I am not sure that people here are interested in
                that (at least not me).

                > Now, re Politics. I don't want the standard "Palesitinians are bad and we
                > should bombar them all" versus "We must evacuate all settlements" crap we
                > hear so often. I don't mind discussing Philsopohy here on Philosophy-IL
                > and did, but it has to be well-though, well-reasoned and profound. (which
                > I hope I have achieved)

                Once again - it's a totally different subject. And different subject(s)
                should remain in a different mailing list.

                > 2. Try and get more people to join. We can publicize in various Israeli

                This may be your mission :) Or anybody else's who is interested in that.
                Spreading the word about philosophy-IL is quite off-topic, and I am not
                sure how it would be treated if you said that in Linux-IL, for instance.
                Not that I compare anything, Shlomi, but think what would happen if any
                person who opened a mailing list would want to spread the word in an
                off-topic mailing list? That would get out of control.

                > What do you suggest to do?

                Love your mailing list and try to make it grow - not at the account of
                this mailing list. You've got a wonderful idea - but hackers-IL is not
                meant for it. Sorry.

                > Shlomi Fish shlomif@...
                > Home Page: http://t2.technion.ac.il/~shlomif/
                > Home E-mail: shlomif@...
                >
                > "Let's suppose you have a table with 2^n cups..."
                > "Wait a second - is n a natural number?"

                Adir Abraham
                Technion's Advisors Group and Public PC Farms Manager
                adir@..., adir@..., adir@...
                Haifa, Israel
                ICQ# 1841481
                Cel# +972-53-243438, +972-55-481245
                KeyID: 0xD8DC85C7 Fingerprint: 138D 8F41 7A06 44A0 3DBB 9DC3 FE8B 2658