Re: [hackers-il] "Lots of bad IT Workers" ?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
      Shlomi Fish wrote:

      [snip]

      > Jonas Luster there describes how his compant is looking for some clueful
      > UNIX engineers and programms, and encounters some job applicants who are
      > completely clue-less.

      [snip]

      I can attribute from my experience.

      I have interviewed a system administrators which (supposedly) knows
      UNIX. As the interview didn't go smoothly, the guy was answering my
      questions without volunteering much information, I decided on a
      different course of action.

      I went to the whiteboard, wiped it clean, and started scribbling UNIX
      terms on it, requesting their definition. I scribbled very simple stuff
      - ls, grep, chmod, chown, passwd. Things like that. The interviewee was
      struggling with the simplest of commands, not knowning what a chown was,
      or sort.

      I could tell where he got his UNIX experiene - from his first-year
      excercise in the university. This is not system-administrator material.
      I wouldn't have hired such a sysadmin were it the 1998 boom. I prefer
      teaching someone who is passionate about computers from scratch than
      having someone who lies about their skills, and who obvously went to
      university because of the 'high-tech rush'.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
        On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Arik Baratz wrote:

        > Shlomi Fish wrote:
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        > > Jonas Luster there describes how his compant is looking for some clueful
        > > UNIX engineers and programms, and encounters some job applicants who are
        > > completely clue-less.
        > >
        > [snip]
        >
        > I can attribute from my experience.
        >
        > I have interviewed a system administrators which (supposedly) knows
        > UNIX. As the interview didn't go smoothly, the guy was answering my
        > questions without volunteering much information, I decided on a
        > different course of action.
        >
        > I went to the whiteboard, wiped it clean, and started scribbling UNIX
        > terms on it, requesting their definition. I scribbled very simple stuff
        > - ls, grep, chmod, chown, passwd. Things like that. The interviewee was
        > struggling with the simplest of commands, not knowning what a chown was,
        > or sort.
        >
        > I could tell where he got his UNIX experiene - from his first-year
        > excercise in the university. This is not system-administrator material.
        > I wouldn't have hired such a sysadmin were it the 1998 boom. I prefer
        > teaching someone who is passionate about computers from scratch than
        > having someone who lies about their skills, and who obvously went to
        > university because of the 'high-tech rush'.

        You mean he was a University graduate? Of which university? Not that I
        expect a graduate of any university to have an adequate knowledge of UNIX.

        In any case, with what Luster reported and with Chen's mention of the
        Sysadmin UNIX applicant who could not name any shell, it seems that some
        people believe they know UNIX more than they actually do, and think it's
        enough to work on it. Maybe it's encouraging because it shows that Linux
        is no longer a guru-only OS, and some relatively clue-less users can use
        it nicely enough.

        While I believe my knowledge of UNIX is good, there are some things I
        don't know or readily know. Things I don't know:

        1. Terminals, ioctl's, /etc/termcap and its ilk.

        2. Configuring sendmail. I know a litle qmail (as its current IGLU
        configuration) but would not call myself a qmail expert.

        3. X Internals and programming with X lib.

        4. Debugging GUI code. I tried it with a program I found on the net and
        liked a lot, and was unable to resolve the issue I discovered no matter
        what I did.

        5. I do not thoroughly know Python, Ruby and Tcl.

        6. I know about ifconfig and its networking friends. However, I many times
        resort to the scripts or front-ends provided in a RH/Mandrake system. I'll
        probably be especially clue-less in other UNIXes where these commands may
        vary.

        7. While I can work with processes, permissions and their friends, I do
        not claim to be an expert with the fine points of UNIX' internals as
        demonstrated in Steven's book.

        8. Super-secure and robust socket programming. All I did was a few clients
        and servers in Perl. (and one client/server pair in C for a homework
        assignment)

        -----

        When I started working in Cortext, my supervisor said that it takes 10
        years to learn UNIX, and that he expects me to learn it in a month. By the
        time I got there, I installed Linux at home but only played with it
        superficially. Still, my knowledge and what the others taught and
        explained to me there, was enough to get by.

        Of course, I was a strange UNIX worker. I wrote my shell scripts in Perl
        (in fact, I wrote almost everything in Perl), and I think I could not tell
        much difference between the FreeBSD workstation, the SunOs 4.1.3, and the
        IRIXes we had there. I was still able to compile and install
        source tarballs following the instructions in their readme's.

        Only later, when I installed Linux on its dedicated hard-disk and started
        seriously experiencing with stuff, I became much more knowledgable.
        Mailing lists like Linux-IL also were very helpful in gaining new
        knowledge.

        My point is that UNIX is so huge, that it takes most people a lot of time
        to learn "all" of it. And I doubt there's a UNIX guru somewhere who knows
        everything there is to know about it. But I think someone can survive
        knowing a relatively small part for it for day-to-day work.

        The problem may be that nowadays, there are higher-level abstractions
        about it (like KDE, GNOME, linuxconf, the Mandrake Control Center, etc)
        that makes doing most mundane tasks GUIishly without using the canonical
        tools. So many people start using Linux as if it was Windows.

        While this may be bad news for employers who are looking for real UNIX
        gurus and I flooded by a lot of point-and-clickers, it is good news
        because it means Linux is ready for the desktop, even for Aunt Tillie.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
          On Sat, Jan 04, 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Lots of bad IT Workers" ?":
          > Are there still enough jobs for competent IT workers. When I started
          > working in Elpas (my first real job as a programmer) which was during the
          > start of the IT boom (1997 or so), I only had experience programming with
          > C, Basic and VBA on my home computer. Yet, I was still competent enough to
          > be of value to them. Afterwards, when I switched jobs to Cortext, a
          > web-publishing house based on UNIX and Perl, I had to learn all about UNIX
          > and Perl there, yet I was still able to get my job done. I feel that I
          > have greatly improved since this point in every area I did back then.
          >
          > Do you think the Shlomi Fish of 1997 could still find a job today?

          You have to put experience in context.
          The Shlomi Fish of 1997 was (and I'm just making up a story here, please don't
          flame me too much if I get the facts wrong) a young guy, who did not think too
          highly of himself, and his (relatively) little knowledge was consistent with
          him being smart (it's not that he learned slowly, he just had only a few years
          to learn). So an employer was faced with a cheap smart employee: don't sound
          too bad.

          But the problem is that "we" (people involved in hiring other people, and for
          the last year I'm no longer one of those "we") don't just get "Shlomi Fishes
          of 1997" - we also get people who think highly of themselves and demand high
          salaries, but know very little.

          We got people who've been around computers for several years (e.g., spent the
          last 3 years in the Technion's CS department) and yet the amount of knowledge
          that has rubbed on them appears to be tiny.

          Imagine I talk to someone who has dwelt in computers and had all the resources
          (computers, books, network, people) imaginable, and still didn't learn
          anything beyond what was spoon-fed to him in class (and even that is
          questionable when he comes in with a relatively low GPA). Why should I believe
          that in my company this guy will be different? Maybe after 3 more years
          he'll work in (say) Linux he still wouldn't know anything I (his boss) did
          not explicitly tell him to learn (and it's not hypothetical, I know such
          people). Maybe it means this guy is not actually interested in computers,
          but is in it only for the money?

          Similarly, when you talk to a person who has just finished some course
          converting them from another profession to computers, the details are very
          important. I've seen, for example, two excellent people, with a biology
          degree, that have taken a CS course and successfully switched to computers;
          Both of them took serious 1-year courses (tought by Technion professors, and
          containing serious CS courses, not just C and HTML), got genuinely interested
          in their new profession, and their employers did well on gambling on them.
          But you get other people, who tell you how much they hate computers ("I
          prefer to work with people"), barely know anything ("Where's 'The Internet'?
          Isn't it some building in America?"), and don't care enough to change that.
          Nobody wants an employee like that.

          Returning to the Shlomi of 1997 for a moment, there is one downside that
          prevents some employers from employing "rookies" like you describe, even
          if they show a great potential and are very smart. This happens in three
          cases:
          1. The company (e.g., start-up) only has plans for the next year. It has
          no use for somebody who will only start really helping the team after
          6 months. It looks for people who can start doing real work NOW, and
          pours money on them.
          2. The company already puts a very high load on the low-level managers or its
          good technical employees. Employing a rookie means more load on the low-
          level managers who'll need to show him the ropes, or on the good
          technical employees who'll need to teach him what he still doesn't know.
          In some situtation, these employees are better off spending that time on
          completing the job.
          I've seen a *very smart* part-time-employee student get fired, for exectly
          this reason.
          3. In some types of job markets, you face a high risk of the rookie bailing
          out on you just when he has finally got enough experience to be truely
          useful. The army has a very simple solution for this problem: sign on
          people for 6 (!) years.
          In the job market of 3 years ago, I even saw a guy leave his job for a
          better paying one, after 2 weeks (!) in the job...

          > I know of a fellow student who graduated from EE (maslul "handasat
          > machshevim vetochna") in the Technion and could not find a job because he
          > claimed workplaces look for someone with more experience, and he has none
          > except for his studies. I know him and he's a bright, and talented guide,
          > albeit does indeed not have much real-world experience. I suggested him to
          > take on open-source development while he's unemployed so he'll have
          > something impressive to put in his resume/.

          Why doesn't he have any experience other than his studies? Did he ever program
          for fun, whether free software or just stuff he'd written for himself? Did
          he program before he went to the Technion, or program for fun during his
          studies?

          If the answer to all of that is no, it might mean he came from a poor
          family and didn't have time during his studies. But it might also mean that
          he's not genuinely interested in computers. Since he can't offer any examples
          of his work, why should employers believe that option #2 isn't the truth?

          This is why personal connections is the best way to get jobs. A personal
          friend of yours knows exactly what you're really worth, and doesn't have
          to make guesses based on your previous experience.

          > I know of an American fellow, named Jay Glascoe, who has an M.Sc. in
          > mathematics, and know Linux, C, C++, Perl and Python well, and could not

          The guy you describe certainly sounds better than a lot of people who do
          find jobs.
          Maybe there are other circumstances you don't know. Maybe this guy is
          asking for too much money, has other unrealistic expectations, or isn't
          as good as you believe. Maybe he's trying at the wrong companies. Or maybe
          he has incredibly bad luck.

          > Have Hetz ben Hamo eventually find a job? He certainly knows Linux
          > in-and-out, but naturally is not a qualified programmer.

          I don't want to discuss a specific person (whom I don't know well), so
          I'll say something general based on your premise that he is not a
          "qualified programmer" (I assume you mean he's not a good programmer,
          because there is no 'programming degree' to qualify).

          Indeed why should someone who's not a good programmer, and not showing the
          potential of being one, be hired to do programming???

          It's like I'm really crappy in sports. Do you think that if I hang enough
          time around soccer fields and in soccer mailing lists, and know the "ins and
          outs" of soccer, Maccabbi Haifa will hire me to replace Yaakubo Igabini?
          Of course not, I'll have to show some prospects of good soccer-*playing*, not
          just interest in soccer-watching and talking about it...

          But in the situation about, I might be able to get a job doing soccer-team
          PR, or something similar.

          > At the moment, I'm completely confused. And I'm almost sure there are many
          > mediocre IT workers who have jobs now. (refer to the Linux-IL thread about
          > the Israeli web-sites).

          Judging from what goes on around me, the number of mediocre IT workers who
          are getting high salaries (not kids who do web sites) is rapidly decreasing,
          being replaced by much better (technically) people brought from other
          companies. But, again from personal experience, this does not always make
          working in such an "improved" company more enjoyable.

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Jan 4 2003, 2 Shevat 5763
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I started out with nothing... I still
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
            04/01/03 18:50:38, Nadav Har'El <nyh@...> wrote:

            >This is why personal connections is the best way to get jobs. A personal
            >friend of yours knows exactly what you're really worth, and doesn't have
            >to make guesses based on your previous experience.
            >
            >It's like I'm really crappy in sports. Do you think that if I hang enough

            If it were that simple. Sometimes (and this has happened to me) a friend's
            colleagues demand to see what you're worth too. A good friend of mine
            tried to set me a job at his company but the head of the development team
            thought that I didn't have enough experience in programming with DirectX
            so they eventually took someone else for the job.

            It didn't matter that I had already more than 2 years of experience in programming
            (on Linux, but still) and had done some stuff with DirectX. They wanted someone
            who knew exactly what to do and needn't be taught anything. So even though
            I had a good chance because a friend introduced me, it's not always enough.

            Eli

            "There's so many different worlds
            So many different suns
            And we have just one world
            But we live in different ones.."

            - Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
              On Sat, Jan 04, 2003, voguemaster wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] "Lots of bad IT Workers" ?":
              > who knew exactly what to do and needn't be taught anything. So even though
              > I had a good chance because a friend introduced me, it's not always enough.

              It also depends how this friend of yours introduced you. He could have said,

              "hey, I know this unemployed guy that I used to play basketball with, that
              supposedly knows Linux (or whatever) - maybe you can take a look at his CV?"

              and he could have said

              "Wow, I know this great Linux (or whatever) person, he's probably one of the
              best in his field in the country, and I heard that he's looking for new
              opportunities. This guy taught me everything I know! He's exactly what we
              need. He's an incredibly smart guy. We must have this guy at any cost!"

              Also, there's a difference between you approaching your friends to pass your
              CV around (from my experience, these friends, not being HR people, will never
              really know what to do with those CVs), and when your friends remember you as
              the "really good guy in ..." and they call on you when they hear the company
              is looking for that thing you're good in.

              That being said, I admit getting contacts through friends doesn't always
              work. I had a bad experience like that once, where a friend was eager to
              get me to work for his company, but since it was a big company (one of the
              biggest hightech companies in Israel) I had to pass through several annoying
              layers of managers and interviewers who didn't know anything about me,
              standardized tests, and so on - they dragged me for a few weeks until I got
              annoyed and told them I wasn't interested any more, and that I had plenty of
              other choices at that time.

              --
              Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Jan 4 2003, 2 Shevat 5763
              Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I would give my right arm to be
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
                On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:

                > Are there still enough jobs for competent IT workers.

                there are - for people with certain types of 'desired' qualifications.

                if you have deep knowledge in some wanted area, which has too few good
                people, you're likely to be able to get a job (or choose amongst several
                jobs - depending on how many companies deal with this area).

                not all companies are looking for employees - but there are quite a few
                that do. some due to etting larger, and some - in order to replace
                previous employees, who are either too costly (still getting the crazy
                salaries from their contracts from 1999-2000) and/or not good enough to
                keep.

                during the bad years (1998-2000) - companies had to accept people for
                unrealistic salaries (mostly in start ups) or accept people who were lousy
                at programming (mostly in large companies, that needed to recruite people
                en-masse). the good thing about those years, is that some wealth was
                spread to a larger group of people (investors lost, certain employees won
                that money - no money was _realy_ lost altogether, except for virtual
                money - it mostly just switched hands).

                currently, companies are doing the ugly move, of firing people that cost
                alot, while recruiting people that are now free in the market, with a
                lower salary, and often a better throughput. gone are the days where you
                could see a mediocre programmer becoming a team leader after 1-2 years in
                the field, and similar symptoms.

                so, it is still possible to find a job - and even people with very little
                experience can manage to find a job - provided that they are persistent in
                their search (i know someone that took about half a year to find a job
                just now - and almost gave up in the middle) and have some qualificatoins
                that distinguish them from others, and have (or develope) good
                interviewing skills. by the way, even during the crazy years, some people
                found it hard to find a job. at my former company, we got a guy that had a
                2nd degree in some medical area, that did a 'transition course' in sela -
                and it took him about half a year to find a job.

                and, yes, _good_ experience counts for quite a lot. it allows you to do
                your work with much less bugs, much less not-understanding the
                requirements, and much less time. thought this is mostly a matter of
                character - a few (rare) people come with the right character to their
                first job. most people gain the require characteristics during them
                gaining work experience, and often because of being exposed to other
                people's methods of working.

                p.s. note that when i say 'knowledge in a certain area', i am not talking
                about 'being a very good software engineer'. companies prefer now people
                with real knwoledge with specific technologies and products, and
                often under-estimate good software engineering skills - which IMO are
                harder to aquire, and are rarer. examples? you have good knowledge of the
                linux kernel, and programming for it - you'll easily and quickly get a job
                if you look properly (i.e. not that many companies deal with it to find
                via news paper adds - but enough do relative to the little ammount of
                qualified people). the same goes for linux system programming. the same
                goes to software verification (very few companies realy deal with it - IBM
                And intel to name the two i know of, in israel - but also very few people
                got the proper background for this). the same probably goes to embedded
                systems development in linux, vxworks and few other systems.

                thus, i'd suggest you choose an area or two in which you want to become a
                real expert - and start learning them deeply. it'll help you alot.

                --
                guy

                "For world domination - press 1,
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2003
                  On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Nadav Har'El wrote:

                  > On Sat, Jan 04, 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] "Lots of bad IT Workers" ?":
                  > > Are there still enough jobs for competent IT workers. When I started
                  > > working in Elpas (my first real job as a programmer) which was during the
                  > > start of the IT boom (1997 or so), I only had experience programming with
                  > > C, Basic and VBA on my home computer. Yet, I was still competent enough to
                  > > be of value to them. Afterwards, when I switched jobs to Cortext, a
                  > > web-publishing house based on UNIX and Perl, I had to learn all about UNIX
                  > > and Perl there, yet I was still able to get my job done. I feel that I
                  > > have greatly improved since this point in every area I did back then.
                  > >
                  > > Do you think the Shlomi Fish of 1997 could still find a job today?
                  >
                  > You have to put experience in context.
                  > The Shlomi Fish of 1997 was (and I'm just making up a story here, please don't
                  > flame me too much if I get the facts wrong) a young guy, who did not think too
                  > highly of himself, and his (relatively) little knowledge was consistent with
                  > him being smart (it's not that he learned slowly, he just had only a few years
                  > to learn). So an employer was faced with a cheap smart employee: don't sound
                  > too bad.

                  This is more or less an accurate description of me than. I got the job by
                  using contacts: my father was a good friend of that start-up's CEO, and he
                  recommended they give me an interview. I went to the interview, and they
                  eventually decided to hire me. I eventually turned out to be their chief
                  programmer after the main programmer, a strange bird who started playing
                  computer games all day was fired, and I started doing his job anyways.

                  > But the problem is that "we" (people involved in hiring other people, and for
                  > the last year I'm no longer one of those "we") don't just get "Shlomi Fishes
                  > of 1997" - we also get people who think highly of themselves and demand high
                  > salaries, but know very little.
                  >
                  > We got people who've been around computers for several years (e.g., spent the
                  > last 3 years in the Technion's CS department) and yet the amount of knowledge
                  > that has rubbed on them appears to be tiny.
                  >
                  > Imagine I talk to someone who has dwelt in computers and had all the resources
                  > (computers, books, network, people) imaginable, and still didn't learn
                  > anything beyond what was spoon-fed to him in class (and even that is
                  > questionable when he comes in with a relatively low GPA). Why should I believe
                  > that in my company this guy will be different? Maybe after 3 more years
                  > he'll work in (say) Linux he still wouldn't know anything I (his boss) did
                  > not explicitly tell him to learn (and it's not hypothetical, I know such
                  > people). Maybe it means this guy is not actually interested in computers,
                  > but is in it only for the money?
                  >
                  > Similarly, when you talk to a person who has just finished some course
                  > converting them from another profession to computers, the details are very
                  > important. I've seen, for example, two excellent people, with a biology
                  > degree, that have taken a CS course and successfully switched to computers;
                  > Both of them took serious 1-year courses (tought by Technion professors, and
                  > containing serious CS courses, not just C and HTML), got genuinely interested
                  > in their new profession,and their employers did well on gambling on them.
                  > But you get other people, who tell you how much they hate computers ("I
                  > prefer to work with people"), barely know anything ("Where's 'The Internet'?
                  > Isn't it some building in America?"), and don't careenough to change that.
                  > Nobody wants an employee like that.

                  True.

                  > Returning to the Shlomi of 1997 for a moment, there is one downside that
                  > prevents some employers from employing "rookies" like you describe, even
                  > if they show a great potential and are verysmart. This happens in three
                  > cases:
                  > 1. The company (e.g., start-up) only has plans for the next year. It has
                  > no use for somebody who will only start really helping the team after
                  > 6 months. It looks for people who can start doing real work NOW, and
                  > pours money on them.
                  > 2. The company already puts a very high load on the low-level managers or its
                  > good technical employees. Employing a rookie means more load on the low-
                  > level managers who'll need to show him the ropes, or on the good
                  > technical employees who'll need to teach him what he still doesn't know.
                  > In some situtation, these employees are better off spending that time on
                  > completing the job.
                  > I've seen a *very smart* part-time-employee student get fired, for exectly
                  > this reason.
                  > 3. In some types of job markets, you face a high risk of the rookie bailing
                  > out on you just when he has finally got enough experience to be truely
                  > useful. The army has a very simple solution for this problem: sign on
                  > people for 6 (!) years.
                  > In the job market of 3 years ago, I even saw a guy leave his job for a
                  > better paying one, after 2 weeks (!) in the job...

                  Understood.

                  > > I know of a fellow student who graduated from EE (maslul "handasat
                  > > machshevim vetochna") in the Technion and could not find a job because he
                  > > claimed workplaces look for someone with more experience, and he has none
                  > > except for his studies. I know him and he's a bright, and talented guide,
                  > > albeit does indeed not have much real-world experience. I suggested him to
                  > > take on open-source development while he's unemployed so he'll have
                  > > something impressive to put in his resume/.
                  >
                  > Why doesn't he have any experience other than his studies? Did he ever program
                  > for fun, whether free software or just stuff he'd written for himself? Did
                  > he program before he went to the Technion, or program for fun during his
                  > studies?
                  >
                  > If the answer to all of that is no, it might mean he came from a poor
                  > family and didn't have time during his studies. But it might also mean that
                  > he's not genuinely interested in computers. Since he can't offer any examples
                  > of his work, why should employers believe that option #2 isn't the truth?

                  Actually, I think he mainly focused on his studies (Technion students are
                  given enough programming exercises), and just wanted to have non-computer
                  related fun (which is OK). Studying in the Electrical Engineering
                  department is very hard consumes a lot of time and concentration. I
                  somehow managed to find time to hack on free software, for E-mail
                  correspondence, reading Linux resources etc. Many times, it is done before
                  doing homework.

                  I don't think is family his poor. He seems like middle-class to me. Like I
                  said, he is a bright kid, and I'm sure he can learn new things if given
                  the chance. As far as programming is concerned he is higher than the
                  Shlomi Fish of 1997. As far as Electrical Engineering is concerned it is a
                  difference of heaven and earth.

                  Like I said, I recommended he works on open-source projects for the time
                  being, to gain some experience. Not only can he put something impressive
                  on his C.V., but he'll also be able to deal with a lot of real-world
                  situations, code, and hacktivity.

                  > This is why personal connections is the best way to get jobs. A personal
                  > friend of yours knows exactly what you're really worth, and doesn't have
                  > to make guesses based on your previous experience.

                  I noticed this myself in several occasions. The only serious job I did not
                  get out of personal connections was Smart-Link, where I was somehow
                  invited to a job interview, they were impressed by me, and accepted me. I
                  did not anyone from there up to this point.

                  > > I know of an American fellow, named Jay Glascoe, who has an M.Sc. in
                  > > mathematics, and know Linux, C, C++, Perland Python well, and could not
                  >
                  > The guy you describe certainly sounds better than a lot of people who do
                  > find jobs.
                  > Maybe there are other circumstances you don't know. Maybe this guy is
                  > asking for too much money, has other unrealistic expectations, or isn't
                  > as good as you believe. Maybe he's trying at the wrong companies. Or maybe
                  > he has incredibly bad luck.

                  I don't think he is asking for too much money. At the moment, he is
                  unemployed and will probably accept any job with a reasonable payment. He
                  sent me a code he wrote in Python that worked pretty well. I did not look
                  at the code too closely, but he also did things the hard way, and parsed
                  the output of fc-solve text-wise. At the moment he's trying at any company
                  that gives him a job interview.

                  In the past week-end I was able to get him 3 job opportunities. One of
                  them may hopefully prove useful.

                  > > Have Hetz ben Hamo eventually find a job? He certainly knows Linux
                  > > in-and-out, but naturally is not a qualified programmer.
                  >
                  > I don't want to discuss a specific person (whom I don't know well), so
                  > I'll say something general based on your premise that he is not a
                  > "qualified programmer" (I assume you mean he's not a good programmer,
                  > because there is no 'programming degree' to qualify).
                  >
                  > Indeed why should someone who's not a good programmer, and not showing the
                  > potential of being one, be hired to do programming???
                  >
                  > It's like I'm really crappy in sports. Do you think that if I hang enough
                  > time around soccer fields and in soccer mailing lists, and know the "ins and
                  > outs" of soccer, Maccabbi Haifa will hire me to replace Yaakubo Igabini?
                  > Of course not, I'll have to show some prospects of good soccer-*playing*, not
                  > just interest in soccer-watching and talking about it...
                  >
                  > But in the situation about, I might be able to get a job doing soccer-team
                  > PR, or something similar.

                  Exactly. I think Hetz (judging by the knowledge he shows in the mailing
                  list) can be a good Q&A person, or a system administrator, or something
                  like that. Maybe his problem is that he focuses too much on getting the
                  latest Linux news, instead of learning to program properly.

                  > > At the moment, I'm completely confused. And I'm almost sure there are many
                  > > mediocre IT workers who have jobs now. (refer to the Linux-IL thread about
                  > > the Israeli web-sites).
                  >
                  > Judging from what goes on around me, the number of mediocre IT workers who
                  > are getting high salaries (not kids who do web sites) is rapidly decreasing,
                  > being replaced by much better (technically) people brought from other
                  > companies. But, again from personal experience, this does not always make
                  > working in such an "improved" company more enjoyable.

                  OK. Web-design is probably not very hard. When I did it I worked on UNIX,
                  with hand-written HTML and Perl CGI scripts. I suppose learning HTML and
                  ASP or HTML and PHP or other adequate combination is not that hard either.

                  One problem my web-publishing company encountered is that we charged for
                  designing a web-page, which we then hosted on our server, and then kept it
                  there. I don't know if they charged for extra maintainance, but I suppose
                  most web-design houses do (and should).

                  > Nadav Har'El | Saturday, Jan 4 2003, 2 Shevat 5763
                  > Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I started out with nothing... I still
                  > http://nadav.harel.org.il |have most of it.

                • Omer Musaev
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                    Omer Mussaev
                    Software Engineer, EMS team, APM R&D
                    Mercury Interactive

                    SF> OK. Web-design is probably not very hard.

                    Famous last words...

                    SF> When I did it I worked on UNIX,
                    SF> with hand-written HTML and Perl CGI scripts. I suppose learning HTML and
                    SF> ASP or HTML and PHP or other adequate combination is not that hard
                    SF> either.

                    Yet there are J2EE technologies, which are hard. And there are Web Forms,
                    which should be relatively easy, but the technology is new...

                    Best regards,
                    Omer Mussaev.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2003
                      On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Omer Musaev wrote:

                      > Omer Mussaev
                      > Software Engineer, EMS team, APM R&D
                      > Mercury Interactive

                      Indeed. CGI scripts can easily be made extremely exploitable. At least
                      bare HTML is safe... for now.