Re: [hackers-il] Re: Automatic Test Suites

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Omer Zak wrote:
      >

      > > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > >
      > > > Now Chen asked me if I have prepared such automatic tests for Freecell
      > > > Solver, and I answered that I did not encounter it. OmerZ took the
      > > > opposite approach and claimed open-source developers should not bother
      > > > with automatic tests and should rely on their users for them.
      > >
      > > Where&when did I say the above?

      > Although it could have been a joke...

      It was indeed a joke. The above message contained two contributions of
      mine to Shlomi Fish's "The Rules of Open-Source Programming".

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
        On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Omer Zak wrote:

        > On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:

        > > > Where&when did I say the above?

        > > Although it could have been a joke...
        >
        > It was indeed a joke.The above message contained two contributions of
        > mine to Shlomi Fish's "The Rules of Open-Source Programming".

        Well, then I may have taken the joke too seriously and believed it
        reflected your opinion. Naturally, some open-source projects can rely on
        their users to locate bugs for them. This is especially true of a project
        which does not have very good security concerns, or a GUI one that is hard
        to test automatically.

        Still, if you can write test suites, than maybe you should, despite the
        fact that a large number of projects (including mine) don't bother to.

        > --- Omer
        > WARNING TO SPAMMERS:at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html

      • guy keren
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
          On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Shlomi Fish wrote:

          > My question is: what experience have you had with automatic test suites?
          > How much do they help identifying bugs and broken code? What kind of tests
          > would you recommend?

          i've seen several good test suites, and i've participated in writing 2
          others. i distinguish between correctness tests and stress tests.

          correctness tests deal with checking that a specific function is done
          properly (gives the expected reuslts). this is mostly useful when you
          re-write your code and want to make sure it didn't break, or when you add
          new features to a large feature-full project.

          stress tests deal with bombarding your code in some manner, and making
          sure it does not crash. this is useful both in early development stage,
          and when the project is mature.

          i've seen stress testing doing a lot of good, both for the developers, and
          for users. as a developer - it helps finding instability bugs, races and
          the like. its not somehting that comes instead of manual testing - but
          rather complements it.

          when a project is small, or does something small, it is rather easy to
          test it. when it becomes large, and contains a lot of features, manual
          tests simply don't cope well with the task. when i was working on large
          industry project, which was first only being tested manually, i saw that
          we got bugs re-crawling into the system (sometimes the same bugs,
          soemtimes new bugs with the same symptoms). after a while, the testing
          team started writing automatic tests for the code (it was driven by a GUI
          on Unix, so they used X-runner for the testing) - and eventually, a single
          machine was dedicated to run automatic regression tests on the latest
          'internal release' version of the code all the time - and this helped us
          find bugs faster. finding a bug close to when you create it is very
          helpful - since it usually lies in the new code you just added (thought
          someitmes its a bug in the old code, that the new code now exposed due to
          using the old code in new ways).

          thus, i think my (current) conclusion is that automatic tests should be
          developed along side the development of the software, and the ammount of
          effort spent on it, should be proportional to the size and complexity of
          the software, as well as to the maturity stage of the software (the more
          mature it is - the more tests you need in order to make sure it keeps
          ticking).

          --
          guy

          "For world domination - press 1,