moving the mailing list

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 21, 2002
      As I offered on the party to^h^hlast night I have setup a mailing list
      on perl.org.il. Muli, yes it is mailman written in Python ! :-)

      Its address will be hackers@...

      So if you guys would like to move the list to that server I think it is
      ready. Someone else should check it too and if it is OK then we can load
      the archive.

      Muli, can we / shall we move the subscribed users ?

      How should we do the transition so no messages no users will be lost on
      the way ?

      regards
      Gabor
    • Muli Ben-Yehuda
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 22, 2002
        On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:50:29AM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

        > As I offered on the party to^h^hlast night I have setup a mailing list
        > on perl.org.il. Muli, yes it is mailman written in Python ! :-)

        > Its address will be hackers@...

        Can we make it hackers-il? Otherwise, people might think we're a bunch
        of perl hackers *gasp* *horrors* ;-)

        > So if you guys would like to move the list to that server I think it is
        > ready. Someone else should check it too and if it is OK then we can load
        > the archive.
        >
        > Muli, can we / shall we move the subscribed users ?

        I don't know... that requires yahoogroups know how, and I tend to
        steer well away of that crap.

        > How should we do the transition so no messages no users will be lost on
        > the way ?

        If we have online archives, some users dropping a few messages is not
        big deal.

        I have an archive in mbox format of hackers-il, thanks to Adi Stav and
        my .procmailrc. It currently has 3106 messages. Let me know of you
        want it.

        So, does anyone have a problem with losing yahoogroups and moving to
        perl.org.il?
        --
        Muli Ben-Yehuda

        "The speed of light really is too slow nowdays." -- Alan Cox
      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 23, 2002
          On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

          > On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:50:29AM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
          >
          > > Its address will be hackers@...
          >
          > Can we make it hackers-il? Otherwise, people might think we're a bunch
          > of perl hackers *gasp* *horrors* ;-)

          Eventually you will be converted. uhm, whatever. Of course I can change it
          to hackers-il if you like to type the dash so much :-)

          > > So if you guys would like to move the list to that server I think it is
          > > ready. Someone else should check it too and if it is OK then we can load
          > > the archive.
          > >
          > > Muli, can we / shall we move the subscribed users ?
          >
          > I don't know... that requires yahoogroups know how, and I tend to
          > steer well away of that crap.

          anyone else knows how to fetch the list of users (e-mail at least ?) from
          yahoo ?

          > > How should we do the transition so no messages no users will be lost on
          > > the way ?
          >
          > If we have online archives, some users dropping a few messages is not
          > big deal.
          >
          > I have an archive in mbox format of hackers-il, thanks to Adi Stav and
          > my .procmailrc. It currently has 3106 messages. Let me know of you
          > want it.

          Sure. Then I can drop that in to the mailman and we have the archive
          there. Then we can announce that everyone should move.

          I am not sure if I'll be able to sign up the hackers-il@perl to the yahoo
          group but if I can then we will not loose mails in the transition.

          Anyway in the next 2 weeks I won't be in Israel (I also miss the RMS day)
          so I'll do this only when I get back.

          Gabor
        • Orna Agmon
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 23, 2002
            On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Gabor Szabo wrote:

            > I am not sure if I'll be able to sign up the hackers-il@perl to the yahoo
            > group but if I can then we will not loose mails in the transition.

            I thought of subscribing hackers-il@yahoogroups.com to
            hackers-il@..., maybe with a trick that would add some info about
            the list moving to perl.org.il.

            Maybe we could insert that info to the list description on yahoo, as well.

            After all, there is no chance for losing emails sent to yahoo- they are
            kept at yahoo. Evryone can go there and see them. The risk is of losing
            the new mailing list mails. So we should also subscribe mail-archive,
            unless someone has a better solution.
            --
            Orna. | http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

            A righteous man is a greedy capitalist,
            paid in a non commercial coin.
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 23, 2002
              Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:

              > So, does anyone have a problem with losing yahoogroups and moving to
              > perl.org.il?

              Can anyone clarify if it is hackers-il we are talking about of some
              perl hackers' list? Since this appears on hackers-il, I am assuming
              the former in what follows.

              Can anyone enlighten me why we should move hackers-il elsewhere?
              Whatever the shortcomings of hackers-il are, it works. Why fix it?

              Note that there will be many consequences to the move, from references
              (List of Mailing Lists on IGLU comes to mind, but it probably does not
              end there) to personal mail setups (my aliases, filtering rules and
              posting styles are what worries me here) to the need to move the
              archives (yes, I use them, I want them in one place). Each such thing
              is small and easy to fix, together it's a problem.

              --
              Oleg Goldshmidt | pub@...
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 23, 2002
                On Mon, Dec 23, 2002, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] moving the mailing list":
                > > Muli, can we / shall we move the subscribed users ?
                >
                > I don't know... that requires yahoogroups know how, and I tend to
                > steer well away of that crap.

                It's technically possible and I think I know how to get that list if we
                decide to go forward with the move.

                Can I be reminded again of the advantages of such a move? While egroups
                sticks those crappy ads on all of our messages, it hasn't been so bad...
                It has worked quite reliably for us for a few years, and I still use
                the original address - hackers-il@egroups.com :)

                --
                Nadav Har'El | Monday, Dec 23 2002, 19 Tevet 5763
                Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |You do not need a parachute to skydive.
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 23, 2002

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                    On 24 Dec 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

                    > Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix@...> writes:
                    >
                    > > So, does anyone have a problem with losing yahoogroups and moving to
                    > > perl.org.il?
                    >
                    > Can anyone clarify if it is hackers-il we are talking about of some
                    > perl hackers' list? Since this appears on hackers-il, I am assuming
                    > the former in what follows.

                    We are talking about the one and only hackers-il list that I offered to
                    move to my server. I could put it on any domain so if someone registers
                    hackers.org.il I can do it there. (Of course it could be done on the IGLU
                    server as well but the reason I heard about why it is still on yahoo is
                    that noone took the time to setup a list. So I took it. The time I mean.
                    I offered perl.org.il as the closest domain I have to hacking.

                    > Can anyone enlighten me why we should move hackers-il elsewhere?
                    > Whatever the shortcomings of hackers-il are, it works. Why fix it?

                    Personally I don't really like Yahoo groups because of all kinds of
                    shortcommings mentioned already here and because I belive at one point
                    in time they'll start charge money for it. Then it will be urgent to
                    move the list.

                    Of course we can stay with Yahoo and keep the images which is a nice
                    feature of Yahoo anyway.

                    In any case I'll remove the hackers@... till we decide so noone
                    will be confused and start sending e-mails there as well or instead of
                    here.

                    -- Gabor
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                      I've just registered hackers.org.il

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Alon Altman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                        On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                        > I've just registered hackers.org.il

                        Cool! You can now assign subdomains like perl.hackers.org.il or
                        kernel.hackers.org.il :)

                        Alon

                        --
                        This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
                        The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                          On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                          > I've just registered hackers.org.il
                          >
                          > -- Arik

                          Great,
                          let me know if you need primary and/or secondary DNS and if I should setup
                          web server on it and/or mail server.

                          --
                          Gabor
                        • Gilad Ben-Yossef
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                            On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 13:10, Alon Altman wrote:
                            > On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:
                            >

                            > > I've just registered hackers.org.il
                            >
                            > Cool! You can now assign subdomains like perl.hackers.org.il or
                            > kernel.hackers.org.il :)

                            I want wetware.hackers.org.il :-)

                            Gilad

                            --
                            Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
                            http://benyossef.com

                            "Geeks rock bands cool name #8192: RAID against the machine"
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                              > From: Gilad Ben-Yossef [mailto:gilad@...]
                              [snip]
                              > I want wetware.hackers.org.il :-)

                              You got it.

                              > From: Gabor Szabo [mailto:gabor@...]
                              [snip]
                              > Great,
                              > let me know if you need primary and/or secondary DNS and if I
                              > should setup
                              > web server on it and/or mail server.

                              That could be nice. I haven't specified any name servers yet, although I have thought about granitecanyon.com.

                              > From: Alon Altman [mailto:alon@...]
                              [snip]
                              > Cool! You can now assign subdomains like perl.hackers.org.il or
                              > kernel.hackers.org.il :)

                              Indeed... as well as many others that come to mind.

                              What I need now is hosting.

                              -- Arik
                            • Alon Altman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                > > From: Gilad Ben-Yossef [mailto:gilad@...]
                                > [snip]
                                > > I want wetware.hackers.org.il :-)
                                >
                                > You got it.

                                If you're handing out names, I want pseudo.hackers.org.il (map it to
                                132.69.253.140).

                                Take a look at http://www.everydns.net/ as well for Name servers.

                                > > From: Alon Altman [mailto:alon@...]
                                > [snip]
                                > > Cool! You can now assign subdomains like perl.hackers.org.il or
                                > > kernel.hackers.org.il :)
                                >
                                > Indeed... as well as many others that come to mind.
                                >
                                > What I need now is hosting.

                                That's not a problem. You can use vipe ;)..

                                Alon

                                --
                                This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
                                The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
                                -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
                                Peers's Law:
                                The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002

                                  alon.stud.technion.ac.il not good enough for you?

                                  > Take a look at http://www.everydns.net/ as well for Name servers.

                                  Will do

                                  > > What I need now is hosting.
                                  > That's not a problem. You can use vipe ;)..

                                  Now here's a moral question: While I can use Vipe, I'm no longer a Technion student, and I only manage vipe as a favor. Using vipe for my own means (although it is for non-profit) doesn't smell just right for me. If you or Orna would convince me otherwise, then I will.

                                  A graver issue is that having hackers.org.il (or hacker.org.il, which I also registered) will very likely attact attention to vipe. I still remember what happened when we tried to host www2.hofesh.org.il (to those who don't know, we served as a mirror site for www.hofesh.org.il, some [religious] guy complained to the Technion management, and we got slapped). I'd rather pay for hosting than go through this again.

                                  And a third issue - vipe is not as strong as I'd like it to be when security is regarded. It exposes too many services, it has too many users, it is poorly administered (as far as security is concerned, and don't get any ideas!). Having hacker.org.il / hackers.org.il pointed that way will serve as incentive for wannabes to try and hack vipe. I don't want to invite this sort of activity on vipe, and on the Technion in general.

                                  On a more positive note, vipe is currently backed up on a regular basis, for free, which is more than I can say for many commercial hosting providers. If we use it eventually it's a very big plus.

                                  -- Arik
                                • Alon Altman
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                    On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                    [snip]
                                    > > > What I need now is hosting.
                                    > > That's not a problem. You can use vipe ;)..
                                    >
                                    > Now here's a moral question: While I can use Vipe, I'm no longer a
                                    > Technion student, and I only manage vipe as a favor. Using vipe for my own
                                    > means (although it is for non-profit) doesn't smell just right for me. If
                                    > you or Orna would convince me otherwise, then I will.

                                    vipe already hosts www.haifux.org, and is generally dedicated to Linux
                                    advocacy. In this regard, I don't think this would be a problem.

                                    > A graver issue is that having hackers.org.il (or hacker.org.il, which I
                                    > also registered) will very likely attact attention to vipe. I still
                                    > remember what happened when we tried to host www2.hofesh.org.il (to those
                                    > who don't know, we served as a mirror site for www.hofesh.org.il, some
                                    > [religious] guy complained to the Technion management, and we got
                                    > slapped). I'd rather pay for hosting than go through this again.

                                    > And a third issue - vipe is not as strong as I'd like it to be when
                                    > security is regarded. It exposes too many services, it has too many users,
                                    > it is poorly administered (as far as security is concerned, and don't get
                                    > any ideas!). Having hacker.org.il / hackers.org.il pointed that way will
                                    > serve as incentive for wannabes to try and hack vipe. I don't want to
                                    > invite this sort of activity on vipe, and on the Technion in general.

                                    This is a really big issue. Technion is as is bombarded by attack
                                    attempts. We don't want to draw more fire to the Technion or vipe.

                                    If you consider paying for hosting on a voluntary basis, take a look at
                                    www.fiasco.org.il.

                                    > On a more positive note, vipe is currently backed up on a regular basis,
                                    > for free, which is more than I can say for many commercial hosting
                                    > providers. If we use it eventually it's a very big plus.

                                    I agree.

                                    --
                                    This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
                                    The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)
                                    -=[ Random Fortune ]=-
                                    I selected E5 ... but I didn't hear "Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs"!
                                  • Gabor Szabo
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                      On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                      > > From: Gabor Szabo [mailto:gabor@...]
                                      > [snip]
                                      > > Great,
                                      > > let me know if you need primary and/or secondary DNS and if I
                                      > > should setup
                                      > > web server on it and/or mail server.
                                      >
                                      > That could be nice. I haven't specified any name servers yet, although I have thought about granitecanyon.com.

                                      you can set ns.tracert.com and ns2.tracert.com (the second one is in
                                      Israel, the first is in the US) as name servers. Of course this has the
                                      drawback of having a single point of failure and that's me.

                                      > Indeed... as well as many others that come to mind.
                                      >
                                      > What I need now is hosting.

                                      I could give that on my server but right now I don't give access
                                      to that server to anyone because of security concerns.
                                      Especially not to cra^h^h^hhackers. :-)

                                      On the other hand I might setup some (Perl based !) comunity server.

                                      Gabor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                        Alon said:
                                        [snip]
                                        > vipe already hosts www.haifux.org, and is generally
                                        > dedicated to Linux
                                        > advocacy. In this regard, I don't think this would be a problem.
                                        [snip]
                                        > This is a really big issue. Technion is as is bombarded by attack
                                        > attempts. We don't want to draw more fire to the Technion or vipe.

                                        How about a compromise: We use vipe as the MX for hackers.org.il, and the mailing list will be managed there. That's a low-profile task, most people don't know about the mailing list.

                                        > If you consider paying for hosting on a voluntary basis,
                                        > take a look at
                                        > www.fiasco.org.il.

                                        How much is it, Gilad?

                                        > > On a more positive note, vipe is currently backed up on a
                                        > regular basis,
                                        > > for free, which is more than I can say for many commercial hosting
                                        > > providers. If we use it eventually it's a very big plus.
                                        > I agree.

                                        Which is good for a mailing list archive.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                          > > That could be nice. I haven't specified any name servers
                                          > yet, although I have thought about granitecanyon.com.
                                          > you can set ns.tracert.com and ns2.tracert.com (the second one is in
                                          > Israel, the first is in the US) as name servers. Of course
                                          > this has the
                                          > drawback of having a single point of failure and that's me.

                                          How stable is it? Does it have a good track-record?

                                          > > Indeed... as well as many others that come to mind.
                                          > > What I need now is hosting.
                                          > I could give that on my server but right now I don't give access
                                          > to that server to anyone because of security concerns.
                                          > Especially not to cra^h^h^hhackers. :-)

                                          You mean that I will have to edit configuration files through some web interface? Hello? This is the hackers mailing list, right?

                                          -- Arik
                                        • Gabor Szabo
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                            On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                            > How stable is it? Does it have a good track-record?

                                            DNS-wise they are OK.
                                            web-site wise actually not that good as it has some elecricity problem
                                            so maybe it isn't that good for the site after all.

                                            > You mean that I will have to edit configuration files through some web interface? Hello? This is the hackers mailing list, right?

                                            I guess you can always write a Perl script to do it for you with LWP.

                                            Actually, what do you want to edit there ? I'll setup and maintain the
                                            web interfcae something like Slash you'll make the pictures.

                                            If you want to do the file editing why shouln't we do it on IGLU ?
                                            I assume there is no problem of who can administrate it.

                                            Gabor
                                          • Muli Ben-Yehuda
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                              On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 04:07:10PM +0200, Arik Baratz wrote:

                                              > > If you consider paying for hosting on a voluntary basis,
                                              > > take a look at
                                              > > www.fiasco.org.il.
                                              >
                                              > How much is it, Gilad?

                                              Not much, but I think it's full at the moment, and not accepting any
                                              new members (Gilad, Shachar (are you here?), correct me if I'm wrong).

                                              A certain nototious list member is also setting up a fiasco-like coop,
                                              but I'll let him mention it in this thread, if he so desires.

                                              Cryptically yours,
                                              Muli.

                                              Cool domain, too. Can I have syscalltrack.hackers.org.il? :-)

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002

                                                I was thinking about NS and mail/inglist. I think you are talking about a web interface - and you can have www.hackers.org.il and do what you think will be fine, I'm not really into web design myself.

                                                > If you want to do the file editing why shouln't we do it on IGLU ?
                                                > I assume there is no problem of who can administrate it.

                                                I don't know anything about IGLU. Care to enlighten me?

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 24, 2002
                                                  > > > If you consider paying for hosting on a voluntary basis,
                                                  > > > take a look at
                                                  > > > www.fiasco.org.il.
                                                  > > How much is it, Gilad?
                                                  > Not much, but I think it's full at the moment, and not accepting any
                                                  > new members (Gilad, Shachar (are you here?), correct me if I'm wrong).
                                                  >
                                                  > A certain nototious list member is also setting up a fiasco-like coop,
                                                  > but I'll let him mention it in this thread, if he so desires.

                                                  I am interested in a fiasco-like coop, if it comes to be, regardless of hackers.org.il. Whoever you are, come forward, even if only in private email.

                                                  > Cool domain, too. Can I have syscalltrack.hackers.org.il? :-)

                                                  All requests will be accepted when reasonable, FCFS. Please submit a properly-formatted zone file segment. You can assume $ORIGIN hackers.org.il. Please include a comment in the zone file segment specifying who you are and who to call if trouble arises.