Re: [hackers-il] Re: Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa

  • Gabor Szabo
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 17, 2002
      On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 mulix@... wrote:

      > On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:22:39PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      >
      > > Are the books going to be given away, or am I going to lend them and
      > > eventually reclaim them?
      >
      > I would prefer that they be given away (fits the game better), but if
      > you and other peopel want to bring books and just lend them to each
      > other, that's fine too.

      I guess some of you know but to those who don't:

      The Perl Mongers have started to build up a library,
      right now mostly of Perl and Progrmming books that our members
      can take for 1-2 month. I'd venture that if other hackers, not
      necessarily those who come regulary to our meetings would like
      to take a book then we can arrange that someone will pick it up
      on our meeting and you get it from that person.

      You only need is a friend who is a Perl Monger.

      You see, it is worth to be friendly with Perl Mongers !

      What we (actually the publishers who gave us the books)
      would like to get in return are reviews of the books. It is
      not a must, but the more reviews we produce the more books
      we can get.

      You can see the list of our books at
      http://www.perl.org.il/books.html

      and the reviews we have written so far at
      http://www.perl.org.il/bookreviews/

      regards
      Gabor
      do you want to talk on the Perl Conference ?
      http:/www.perl.org.il/YAPC/2003/
    • Orna Agmon
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 17, 2002
        suggestion for conflict solving:

        the people who are interested in the same book are asked several
        questions about the book owner, or questions that the book owner has
        prepared pre-hand.

        the person who answers more questions correctly wins.

        suggestions for questions about a person:

        name a book this person likes (then the person must answer without knowing
        who said what).

        name a song this person likes (likewise).

        the idea is not to have known the person, but more to guess according to
        the book/s (s)he brought, what is his/her taste.

        --
        Orna. | http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

        A righteous man is a greedy capitalist,
        paid in a non commercial coin.
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
          On Sun, Dec 15, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "[hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
          > I would like to invite you guys (and girls) to a small, informal and hopefully
          > fun hackers-il gettogether in Haifa this Motsei Shabat (21/12), organized
          > by Muli and myself and to take place in my apartment (driving directions
          > will be posted later this week).
          > I would appreciate it if people who are planning to come will drop me a
          > message, so I'll have an estimate on how many people are coming - in case
          > I have to break down walls and buy more chairs, and/or raid the local food
          > store ;)

          There have not been many confirmations - I hope it's not because people who
          live in the center think Haifa is "too far" [1]. You still have a chance
          to decide to come!

          Anyway, I hope more people will decide to come, and please tell me if you
          do plan to come - because the stores aren't open on Saturdays and I've got
          to stock up :)

          Here are the instructions driving to my apartment (public transportation is
          also convenient, but you'll need to ask Egged about the details...):

          I live in 2 Zufit st. apartment 3 (2nd floor), in the new "Ramat Hen"
          neighborhood (which might not appear in very old maps), which is near the
          Nave Sha'anan and Ramot Remez neighborhoods.

          If you're coming from route 2 (kvish hachof), get off at the south-haifa
          interchange (that's the first entrance to Haifa from route 2 - you'll see
          plenty of signs about Neve Sha'anan, Technion, Matam, etc.).

          There after a very short drive on the ramp, you are forced to turn right and
          then you reach lights in which forward goes to Tirat Hacarmel and left goes to
          Haifa. Go left to Haifa (of course). You'll see the "Kanyon Chaifa" on your
          right, and you'll now be going up the carmel in the long and winding road
          colloquially called "Freud" (I think the real name of parts of this long and
          winding uphill road is Fliman, or Winshell...).

          Go forward (and up!) in Frued, passing one or two lights, until on the very
          top of the hill you reach a T intersection and must turn. This is "Merkaz
          Chorev". There you make a left turn only to take another right turn almost
          immediately in a trafic light.

          After that right turn, you are going down the hill in the Pika road. On
          this road, stick to the right (but don't make any more right turns!) and
          go forward (and down) for another 1km or so; At one point you'll notice
          that near a Paz gas station Pika diverges into two seperate roads - but
          since you're sticking to the right like I said, you'll take the right
          (tartei mashma) road, called Chankin rd.

          In Chankin rd. you continue to stick to the right lane, and pass a nice
          unbuilt area and see the Ramot Sapir neighborhood from a distance.
          After about 500m you'll see signs about a tunnel. But you're sticking (like
          I asked!) to the right lane, so you don't go in the tunnel - instead you
          find yourself in a traffic light just right to the tunnel - there you take
          a left to the Ramat Hen neighborhood (Bat-hen st.).

          In my neighborhood, you just go forward (in Bat-hen) st, and the first
          right turn is into Zufit st, my street. My building is right on the corner,
          number 2. Parking space is plentiful.

          Scheeww, that was long... :)
          If you get stuck, you can call me at 053-245868 or 04-8122714.

          I'm looking forward to seeing you!

          [1] If a person living in the center feels that, what would you think if
          I told you the same thing next time you invited me to the center?
          (see also the signature below :))

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Dec 19 2002, 14 Tevet 5763
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Always go to other people's funerals,
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
            On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 16:55, Nadav Har'El wrote:
            > > I would appreciate it if people who are planning to come will drop me a
            > > message, so I'll have an estimate on how many people are coming - in case
            > > I have to break down walls and buy more chairs, and/or raid the local food
            > > store ;)
            > I'm looking forward to seeing you!

            Well I'm coming and I'm bringing some books too.

            > [1] If a person living in the center feels that, what would you think if
            > I told you the same thing next time you invited me to the center?
            > (see also the signature below :))

            I don't think the drive is a problem. I think it's the fear of having to
            navigate in Haifa that is the problem - once while looking for a party
            there I found myself in a street that intersected itself. It felt like
            driving through a non Euclidian maze... :-)

            Gilad.

            --
            Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
            http://benyossef.com

            Q: "What do you do if your Linux box goes down?"
            A: "Sit around in the dark until the power comes back on"
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
              On Thu, Dec 19, 2002, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
              > I don't think the drive is a problem. I think it's the fear of having to
              > navigate in Haifa that is the problem - once while looking for a party
              > there I found myself in a street that intersected itself. It felt like
              > driving through a non Euclidian maze... :-)

              Indeed, the street I live by (Bat chen) is a circle and it (obviously)
              intersects itself. It's a street that is on the top of a hill, and goes
              around the hill. It makes for a more interesting city :)

              But this complaint doesn't sound serious when it comes from a person whose
              apartment it took me an hour (!) to find for the first time and then
              find a parking space next to it...

              --
              Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Dec 19 2002, 15 Tevet 5763
              Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I am the world's greatest authority on my
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
                On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote:

                > On Sun, Dec 15, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "[hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
                >
                > There have not been many confirmations - I hope it's not because people who
                > live in the center think Haifa is "too far" [1]. You still have a chance
                > to decide to come!

                It is indeed too far as I could also see on our Perl meetings in Tel Aviv.

                Now it final that I'll come from Modiin (except for extream weather and
                such) (Even my wife approved it by now.)

                I'd prefer not to drive all the way alone so either I can offer
                to pick up someone on the way[1] there and back or I'd like
                to join someone on the way[2].

                I guess I have to leave Modiin at about 16:30 to get to Haifa on time
                AND to find the place ?

                Gabor

                [1] I can be flexible to go via Ayalon and TA or road 4 or road 6.
                [2] I will be flexible to come to your place.
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
                  Nadav Har'El wrote:
                  > On Thu, Dec 19, 2002, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote about "Re:
                  > [hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
                  > > I don't think the drive is a problem. I think it's the fear
                  > of having to
                  > > navigate in Haifa that is the problem - once while looking
                  > for a party
                  > > there I found myself in a street that intersected itself.
                  > It felt like
                  > > driving through a non Euclidian maze... :-)
                  >
                  > Indeed, the street I live by (Bat chen) is a circle and it (obviously)
                  > intersects itself. It's a street that is on the top of a
                  > hill, and goes
                  > around the hill. It makes for a more interesting city :)
                  >
                  > But this complaint doesn't sound serious when it comes from a
                  > person whose
                  > apartment it took me an hour (!) to find for the first time and then
                  > find a parking space next to it...

                  Would it be too much trouble to give your exact coordinates? I do have a GPS...

                  I have 2 spare seats, I can pick people up. My route is:

                  Qiriat Uno --> Road 4 --> Morasha --> Road 5 --> Glilot --> Road 2 --> Netanya - switch cars --> Road 2 --> Haifa

                  ...but I can be a bit flexible.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
                    On Thu, Dec 19, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Informal hackers-il gettogether in Haifa":
                    > Would it be too much trouble to give your exact coordinates? I do have a GPS...

                    Well, I don't have a GPS... But isn't the street address just as good? It's
                    Zufit 2, Haifa.

                    > Qiriat Uno --> Road 4 --> Morasha --> Road 5 --> Glilot --> Road 2 --> Netanya - switch cars --> Road 2 --> Haifa

                    This switch-car bit reminds me of travellers in the old days, which needed
                    to switch horses (to "fresh" ones) in mid-way :)

                    --
                    Nadav Har'El | Thursday, Dec 19 2002, 15 Tevet 5763
                    Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |When you handle yourself, use your head;
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 19, 2002
                      > Well, I don't have a GPS... But isn't the street address just
                      > as good? It's
                      > Zufit 2, Haifa.

                      Not AS good, since I don't have a map of Haifa on which I can measure the coordinates and enter into my GPS... but it'll do.

                      > This switch-car bit reminds me of travellers in the old days,
                      > which needed
                      > to switch horses (to "fresh" ones) in mid-way :)

                      It's done for saving purposes (the second car's fuel is tax free). My car doesn't need to rest after mere 40 KMs (yet).

                      -- Arik
                    • Gabor Szabo
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 21, 2002
                        You can always look at the map on the home page of Haifa:
                        http://www.haifa.gov.il/city/indexEng.html

                        which sais:

                        Due to site Construction
                        The English & Russian parts of the site
                        will be available soon !

                        I guess without contructions it would take a long time..

                        Gabor