[META] Moderation proposal

  • Gaal Yahas
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 12:21 AM
      Hey,

      I dislike the notion of putting others through an ordeal before they
      can join. I'd rather we cook up some way of keeping the list
      interesting for everybody who's already here, and this is my "offer":

      1. Absolutely no junk on the list.
      2. Junk includes technical foolery in messages[1], messages without
      hackery in them, *and messages saying another message is junk*.[2]

      What to do with a "moderational problem":

      1. Never, ever deal with it on-list. Try to ignore it.
      2. If the problem annoys you enough that you can't ignore it, try to
      deal with it directly with the person who caused it. You can assume
      that if it was very annoying, they will get many annoyed responses,
      and maybe change their ways.
      3. If you *must* discuss a moderation issue on-list, wipe off any
      personal alcertations from it, write it up, and prefix [META] to
      your email title.

      Can we use this?

      [1] Jeporady-style or overly long quotes, HTML mail, non-readable
      attachments, long signatures.

      [2] I'm sick and tired of what's going on in linux-il. One poor person
      makes one tiny error in protocol, and gets flamed on-list by at
      least three others, and the ACK storm that ensues takes a week to
      die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests
      anybody?

      --
      believing is seeing
      gaal@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 12:32 AM
        On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:21:07AM +0300, Gaal Yahas wrote:

        > [2] I'm sick and tired of what's going on in linux-il. One poor person
        > makes one tiny error in protocol, and gets flamed on-list by at
        > least three others, and the ACK storm that ensues takes a week to
        > die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests
        > anybody?

        Another way that hackers-il can contribute to society:
        Someone asked a particulary silly questin on our favorite lug? you just thought
        of the most biting sarcasm as a wity reply? throw it here so we can laugh about
        the luser in private, without rightous lug-keepers telling us not to scare the
        newbies. :-)

        --
        Chen Shapira Web Developer and Linux Activist
        The algorithm for finding the longest path in a graph is NP-complete.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 3:34 AM
          Gaal Yahas wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > I dislike the notion of putting others through an ordeal before they
          > can join. I'd rather we cook up some way of keeping the list
          > interesting for everybody who's already here, and this is my "offer":
          >
          > 1. Absolutely no junk on the list.
          > 2. Junk includes technical foolery in messages[1], messages without
          > hackery in them, *and messages saying another message is junk*.[2]
          >
          > What to do with a "moderational problem":
          >
          > 1. Never, ever deal with it on-list. Try to ignore it.
          > 2. If the problem annoys you enough that you can't ignore it, try to
          > deal with it directly with the person who caused it. You can assume
          > that if it was very annoying, they will get many annoyed responses,
          > and maybe change their ways.
          > 3. If you *must* discuss a moderation issue on-list, wipe off any
          > personal alcertations from it, write it up, and prefix [META] to
          > your email title.

          4. Just to make sure nobody will get hurt personnaly, I would like to
          have an ultimate flamer available. I saw that one in Xemacs (jwz rulz),
          implemented a kind of that for one web-based discussion forum and now
          I see it on forum2. May we set up a tradition of triggering that
          ultimate flaming bot on litter bugs?

          > Can we use this?
          >
          > [1] Jeporady-style or overly long quotes, HTML mail, non-readable
          > attachments, long signatures.
          >
          > [2] I'm sick and tired of what's going on in linux-il. One poor person
          > makes one tiny error in protocol, and gets flamed on-list by at
          > least three others, and the ACK storm that ensues takes a week to
          > die out. Hell, people, do you think that kinda traffic interests
          > anybody?

          I think that it would be honest to put [RBA] prefix in subject. and
          the idea of "worst real world user experience" contest sounds nice to me.

          anyway, listen to war story:

          One day, when I was employed as admin at BGU, one luser entered the lab
          and asked following question:

          - I can not open a file. What should I do?

          chmod, u have no permission, was the quick answer.

          - What do you mean permission? It is my computer, I bought it and I can not

          open a file. help me!

          I recursed. He recursed as well. Race condition. how nice (tm).

          Then one of windows admins out there got the bulb on:

          - you probably try to click an icon and nothing happens? That your problem?

          - Yes, I got the file from university, and I can not open it. Exactly!

          - so, what kind of file is it?

          - <turning red>: It is my computer, and I got the file from universirty,
          and *I HAVE A RIGHT TO TAKE A FILE HOME FROM UNIVERSITY, I CHECKED IT*.

          rofl-rofl. recurse.

          --
          Omer Mussaev 051-308-214 mailto:omerm@...
          systems programmer, Mercury Interactive/RND/Conduct/core
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8 5:05 AM
            On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 01:34:27PM +0300, Omer Mussaev wrote:

            > 4. Just to make sure nobody will get hurt personnaly, I would like to
            > have an ultimate flamer available. I saw that one in Xemacs (jwz rulz),
            > implemented a kind of that for one web-based discussion forum and now
            > I see it on forum2. May we set up a tradition of triggering that
            > ultimate flaming bot on litter bugs?

            Oh, I assure you that PEST was developed completely independently
            of jwz. And the inspiration for it didn't come from jwz, either.

            --
            believing is seeing
            gaal@...