Re: [hackers-il] Fwd: [linux-elitists] Kernel-mode Linux

  • Muli Ben-Yehuda
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2002
      On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:07:40PM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:

      > Why then do user programs need to be written in TAL in order to be run in
      > kernel mode?

      Because the potential for damage is much greater. Think of a
      misbehaving application in window 95.

      I don't think TAL is a requirement, just a recommendation, a way to
      deal with the inherent danger of running in kernel space wrt system
      stability.

      > We have SMP support, User-mode Linux, and now Kernel-mode Linux. What
      > next? Maybe RWS (Reduced Working Set) Linux which optimizes the
      > processor's cache usage?

      Ahhm, take a look at your favorite kernel source, you'll find gems
      such as

      #define __CACHELINE_ALIGNED_IN_SMP ...

      and

      /* this struct's members arranged to optimize cache sharing. Don't */
      /* change the ordering without a good reason. */

      For some things, these microoptimizations actually do make a
      difference.