Re: packers and mappers

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2002
      On 27 Nov 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

      > A friend of mine pointed me to a site mentioned somewhere in
      > yesterday's /. thread "Has Software Development Improved."
      >
      > http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/r0/
      >
      > an interesting read, probably partly because some of my own ideas seem
      > to be in line with its general flow, and also because I think I have
      > encountered quite a few packer/mapper patterns in my own work.

      Oleg, it's a very interesting link, but obviously a very long text. Maybe
      I'll skim through it. If this document can indeed turn mundane programmers
      into _great_ software engineers, then this is a truly priceless document.

      I found that the Neo-Tech literature[1] had a mind-expanding effect on me,
      similar to what these guys are trying to achieve.

      I really like the rebuttal of the standard misconception that programmers
      with more experience, an academic degree (or several such), etc. are
      necessarily better than those without it. I have encountered a very
      experienced programmer who did not know what to do with a char * * and
      converted it into a global variable. And then there are high-school
      graduates with no official education who can beat the hell out of many
      B.Sc. students with 5 years of experience.

      Some people will become better programmers in 1 year, than many would in
      10 years.

      I think you can't really tell how good an employee would be until you hire
      him and see his work. Maybe workplaces are too afraid of the time and
      effort spent at employing him or her for a brief period that they are
      looking for ways to make sure he has a greater chance of writing good
      code. I.e: they want to make sure they have a good programmer on their
      hands, rather than go through several until they found a great one.

      [1] - http://www.neo-tech.com/advantages/ and other lesser resources on
      the Neo-Tech site.