Re: [hackers-il] RE: RE: Re: My Wish-list for the O'Reilly Open Sourc e Co nvention

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2002
      On Tue, Nov 19, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] RE: RE: Re: My Wish-list for the O'Reilly Open Sourc e Co nvention":
      > I once proposed creating a system call to automaticall spawn a child
      > process from an executable with parameters and new environment. Sort of
      > like CreateProcess in Win32 or like fork()+execve in one go. Moshe Bar
      > told me it would not be hard to implement, but that there are complex
      > models that prove that it only degrades performance. Maybe I should

      You brought this idea up on Jan 19th, 2002 on linux-il.

      Moshe Bar was not the only one to rain on your parade.
      I told you then that if anything, your performance gains will be negligable
      because fork's overhead is already very small, and absolutely tiny compared
      to other overheads in spawning a new program. I recommended you read the
      vfork(2) manual, and also asked

      "I'm not sure why your idea is needed at all. To save a couple of
      microseconds on exec time - when modern programs spends dozens (if not
      thousands - see KDE) of miliseconds on dynamic linking every time you run
      them?"

      I consider this another example of a "changing for the sake of making a
      change", and not a change coming from a real need. If there's a need, and
      a case that could improve from your approach, why don't you start by
      demonstrating that need?

      Do it if you enjoy it [1], but don't start complaining if your changes don't
      make it into the Kernel, claiming that "Linus is a dictator".

      [1] I'm the last person to try to stop you from wasting your time on something
      you enjoy. I've been wasting the last several nights burried in stacks
      of Hebrew dictionaries and grammar books just to create my own word list
      (to be published freely, of course) - something that Has Been Done (TM)
      for N times already, and I have no idea if anyone will use once (if?) I
      ever finish it.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Tuesday, Nov 19 2002, 15 Kislev 5763
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If at first you don't succeed, skydiving