RE: [hackers-il] Looking for a Job : Shlomi Fish' Bio

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
      > From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:shlomif@...]
      [snip]
      > 1. I will not sign an NDA.

      Why will you not sign an NDA? Just out of curiosity.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
        On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

> [...]

        Simple - I can tell you exactly what I did at each one of my previous
        workplaces. And I can tell spicy details from there.

        I like the fact that I can tell what is going on in my workplace and what
        I do to other people, without having to keep it all inside. And with my
        tendency to become euphoric, this becomes a necessity.

        Joel Spolsky has a nice piece about it:

        Naturally, I'm not going to convey every little piece of code I see or
        publish it on the Net. But I like the fact that there isn't an element of
        secrecy. Secrets don't scale.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2002
          > From: Shlomi Fish [mailto:shlomif@...]

          > > > 1. I will not sign an NDA.
          > > Why will you not sign an NDA? Just out of curiosity.
          >
          > Simple - I can tell you exactly what I did at each one of my previous
          > workplaces. And I can tell spicy details from there.
          >
          > I like the fact that I can tell what is going on in my
          > workplace and what
          > I do to other people, without having to keep it all inside.
          > And with my
          > tendency to become euphoric, this becomes a necessity.

          Well, usually the NDA deals with trade secrets, source code, etc. and just saying that I wrote a piece of code using ADSI and I used their search interface to search for a user using an LDAP-style query, won't get me in trouble. Even providing a sample snippet won't - I have done this many times, either to get help with my code or to give help.

          I don't know what NDA you came across, but mine doesn't disallow talking about stuff that happens in the workplace.

          My suggestion to you is not to overrule NDAs categorically. Read everything you sign on, though.

          -- Arik

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
            On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Arik Baratz wrote:

            Okay, in that case, I guess I can sign most NDAs. I'll modify it in the
            last post.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2002
              On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

              > On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 11:27:40AM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
              >
              > > Okay, in that case, I guess I can sign most NDAs. I'll modify it in the
              > > last post.
              >
              > You mean there's a list that hasn't seen your "looking for work" post
              > yet???
              >
              > *prays it's not Linux kernel*

              LOL.

              > Seriously, if you don't know about it, check out
              > http://www.cji.co.il/, they have good stuff occasionally. Good luck.

              Thanks.

              > --
              > Muli Ben-Yehuda http://www.mulix.org/