[Essay] Changing the BitKeeper License and Why it is Needed

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2002
      http://better-scm.berlios.de/bk/relicensing_bk.html

      Which can be thought as "GPLing BK" version 2.

      A note to someone, who criticized me of fighting BitKeeper by Advocacy
      instead of code: I have contributed some patches to Subversion, and one of
      them was already accepted. Not to the core code, but nevertheless.

      Other than that, I think advocacy articles are a perfectly fine way of
      advancing the community. The most productive things in a worker's life are
      the key decisions he make that change the way he ran things before.
      Actualy coding is much less productive. Writing a lot of code that
      eventually turns out that could have been much better designed is much
      less productive than coming with a good design and implementing the
      modified code. Now, the good design is a key decision.

      The reason I read Joel on Software, CatB and other resources like that, is
      that they give me a lot of insights that I would otherwise have to come
      up on my own. Then, I see that they influence my projects by one way or
      another and increase my productivity. It seems Oleg thinks most of what
      Joel says is simply Common-Sense which may indicate he is experienced
      enough to have come up with these insights himself. Which is a good sign.