Re: OT - hearing impaired mp3 (was Re: [hackers-il] Lessig on Free Culture)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
      On Fri, Sep 06, 2002, Omer Zak wrote about "Re: OT - hearing impaired mp3 (was Re: [hackers-il] Lessig on Free Culture)":
      > > What makes an mp3 accessible to the hearing impaired? Cleanness of the
      > > recording? Text channel? Speech compression?
      >
      > If it was used to record a lecture (rather than music), then provision of
      > a written transcript of the lecture would make the lecture accessible.
      > I'd not begrudge the well-hearing people due to their ability to enjoy the
      > musical qualities of Lessig's sound.

      You know I'm all for giving hearing-impaired equal opportunities, and so
      forth, but let's get real here... A guy stood and gave a lecture in front
      of the O'Reilly Open Source Conference for half an hour. He didn't send
      his lecture as text, he *talked* it out to the room. Another guy happened to
      record the audio of that lecture. This is how the mp3 came to be. Creating
      a transcript is obviously an entirely different (harder) feat - but someone
      also did that, just take a look at the page I pointed to!

      The reason why I suggested the mp3, and not reading the transcript, is that
      I thought that listening to Lessig's enthusiasm and the way he speaks was
      a nice experience. Obviously people who cannot hear, or who are not
      confident enough in their English to listen to someone speak quickly, should
      prefer other formats: the site includes also a transcript, a Flash
      presentation, and I don't remember what else. For people who can hear and
      are confident in their English (most of this list, let's face it) I recommend
      listening to the mp3.

      > As said in my original E-mail message, I didn't check if there is an
      > adequate text transcription of the lecture.

      Well, there is... People, please always check before you complain about
      someone being anti-deaf, male-chauvinist, racist, or anything of that
      sort... Because such accusations especially insult and hurt people who
      do care about these things.

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Friday, Sep 6 2002, 29 Elul 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Does replacing myself with a shell-script