Re: [hackers-il] The times they are a-changing

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
      "Nadav Har'El" <nyh@...> writes:

      > Once in a while I search my archives of old email for something, and come
      > across an amusing email.

      I come across an amusing email (or news posting) a few times a
      week. Here is today's harvest from comp.lang.lisp:

      "Nadav Har'El" <nyh@...> writes:

      > Isn't that amusing - getting all upset over a "giant" 8 MB core file?

      A couple of personal recollections: in 1991 I once inadvertently ate
      up the monthly bidget (in dollars or shekels - I don't remember) of a
      whole department in TAU. When the department head confronted me with
      this finding I couldn't understand what he was talking about - the
      only program I ran should have been really fast. Of course, upon
      further inspection, there was an infinite loop in it, but what has
      that got to do with anything?

      That was before the times when Sun workstations (and X-terminals)
      appeared en mass on the desks of faculty members. Computations ran on
      a CDC computer at the Computing Center that was time-shared, and the
      time used was measured in shekels, with quotas.

      Of course removing unused *.o, core, etc was a habit then...

      Another recollection: Harvey Stein, one of the founders of IGLU,
      calculated some years ago (1996? 1997?) that the price of a MB of RAM
      had become cheaper than the price of a MB of magnetic hard drive 15
      years before.

      And yet another: maybe 3 years ago (or less) I bought a new 8GB HD for
      my home computer (a Pentium 166 MHz). The old 1.2 GB disk that had
      served me faithfully became available for playing with stuff. Our
      friend Ira gave me a SuSE 6.4 CD (here is the time frame for you) and
      I decided to install it and check out what it looked like. I skipped
      games and other candy, but decided to install the development tools
      and docs. It didn't fit...

      > Yes, the times surely are a-changing :)

      You are right... ;-)

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      "... Of theoretical physics and programming, programming embodied