Upgrade Yourself!

  • Eli Marmor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 10:59 PM
      [I'm not exactly subscribed, so CC me if you think I should read your
      response]

      Hey, where do you live ???

      Maybe you didn't hear, but it's not exciting to code an HTTPD in
      PostScript anymore, and even a Palm-based web-server is not an April 1
      fool anymore (this time, there is a serious OSS project which
      implements it). The new hype is around writing web-servers in
      primitive languages like Turing or SED (see also
      http://modi.bowerbird.com.au:8080/sedhttpd.html ), and a poll about
      languages, without Assembly, looks like a real hacker's poll (I mean
      that probably hackers hacked the site, and put Schema instead of
      Assembly). Even a simple stack buffer overflow of C programs can't be
      done without knowing what Assembly this code is compiled into. And
      what about Java, or at least its ByteCode? I think that the most
      amazing plays with the own code can be done using Java internals.

      It's not 1980 anymore. Java is there, and is a legitimate language.
      x86 is alive, and its Assembly can be used in a hackers list. Web
      server are already written in the most bizzare languages, so it is not
      an issue anymore. And if you want a real poll, please remove bizzare
      languages that nobody uses them, and put the classic languages that
      hackers always used. And what about code which changes itself? It
      must be cooler than a JavaScript based web server, or even than
      drinking beers with C++ as one suggested (unless the beers were cooled
      using a frigider).

      P.S. Cheers for the good initiative and willingness! Good luck with
      this list!