Re: Stephen Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science"

  • nyharel
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2002
      --- In hackers-il@y..., "Arik Baratz" <arikb@v...> wrote:

      > I'll be in the US from around 14/7 for about a week or two. If you
      order it to my company's address in the states I will bring it back
      with me, no charge. No more than two-three books, though - I do have
      to carry it around 3 airports or so.

      If you knew how much this book weighed, you'd have put the limit at 1
      book ;)
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2002
        I have browsed its entry in B&N
        (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0C47HWQJOK&isbn=1579550088),
        and noticed that readers were generally lukewarm about it.

        Is there anyone in Israel, who actually read the book, and can share his
        own opinion about it with us?
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2002
          Omer Zak <omerz@...> writes:

          > Is there anyone in Israel, who actually read the book, and can share his
          > own opinion about it with us?
          > --- Omer

          I have it, but have not had time to open the monster yet. Muli? We got
          it at roughly the same time, IIRC.

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
          "... Of theoretical physics and programming, programming embodied
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2002
            On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 08:44:00AM +0300, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
            > Omer Zak <omerz@...> writes:
            >
            > > Is there anyone in Israel, who actually read the book, and can share his
            > > own opinion about it with us?
            > > --- Omer
            >
            > I have it, but have not had time to open the monster yet. Muli? We got
            > it at roughly the same time, IIRC.

            I have read several chapters and gazed at the pretty pictures ;)

            It was a very interesting, thought provoking read. I don't know how
            ground breaking it is, but he certainly elucidates his ideas clearly
            and made me think. It's also a lovely book to have, if you love books
            in general (very high quality printing and binding).

            Here's one very good review:

            http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0464.html?printable=1
            --
            Muli Ben-Yehuda