The Very Very Very Small Blue strikes again - Perfochips!!!

  • Omer Musaev
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2002
      Recently I found following research conducted by Nanotechnology
      division of IBM.

      It seems that IBM had decided that the next great thing is "a new
      idea is in fact a well forgotten one" :) While perfocards have their
      place in some museums, following link aims for newest fabs:

      http://domino.research.ibm.com/Comm/bios.nsf/pages/millipede.html

      In short:
      By using a matrix of nano-perforators, this project makes a rewritable
      storage with capacity of .5 Gbyte on an area of 9 mm^2. And they are
      threatening with even further data density in near future.

      The media is said to be able to withstand 100000 cycles of writes and
      reads. I guess that after that Heisenberg principle will make the plot
      thicker:).