Re: [hackers-il] Re: Do Faster Computers Imply Slower Code?

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2002
      Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:

      > Isn't it possible to write APIs that would abstract some of that
      > functionality away?

      What has it got to do with API? I was referring to the underlying
      algorithms.

      > Do you think we will always find certain tasks that will require more
      > computing power than we have? Examples I can think of at present:

      To add to your list: finance, hydrodynamics (you mentioned some
      problems involving that, but there are many more), cosmology,
      climate models, (thermo)nuclear bombs (now that many countries -
      albeit not all - signed the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty), et
      caetera, et caetera...

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      "A sense of the fundamental decencies is parceled out unequally at birth."