Re: [hackers-il][meta] Definition of hackers [Was: Cryptic Opinions]

    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2002
      Arik Baratz <arikb@...> writes:

      > We need a good definition of what a hacker means. I am NOT going to
      > supply it, I'll just say that according to the definition I believe
      > in hacking is not limited to computers.

      1) Please drop the bloody thread or I'll score all of you down... ;-)

      2) Hacking (and hackers-il) is not limited to computers. It's limited
      to appreciation of

      http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/hbaker/hakmem/hakmem.html

      (i.e. whoever does not appreciate - not necessarily grok - the
      little gems hidden there is not a true hacker :)

      NB: that's definition 3, also consistent with 6 and 7 in

      http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/h/hacker.html

      - that's an authoritative source, so don't argue any more (see item
      1 above).

      3) The above is written and intended to be read with a tongue in one's
      cheek. However, see item 1 above. (-;

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      If it aint't broken it hasn't got enough features yet.