Re: [hackers-il] OpenSource by force?

  • Moshe Zadka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2000
      On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Ira Abramov wrote:

      > OpenSourcing in-house projects has always intrigued me.

      It is an intriguing subject. Bruce Perens once talked about it, and
      concluded that it was a lost cause, usually. You are probably in a better
      position then Xen and I (for example), since Internet Zahav does *not*
      sell software. I know I have quite a difficult job convincing management
      that things we do not plan on selling (e.g., my infamous dsp2make), might
      as well be released to the public domain.

      The thing is, that I would *not* advise releasing without managerial
      approval -- you are leading people to use this source, and improve it. 2
      years later, management can wake up and say "hey, this is ours, we'll sue
      your asses off if you don't stop using it". So, you cause a lot of people
      to waste their times.

      What might work is badgering management constantly. I'm trying that route
      currently.

      > I'm taking the "hacker" thinking mode
      > here saying there is no copyright notice on the scripts, and no license,
      > so I'll assume the "best case scenario" and release it under GPL if it's
      > good enough.

      Unfortunately, that isn't true. The IP belongs to the company, so you're
      actually deluding a lot of people. What you can do (but it might get you
      sued and of fired: however, this does not imply immorality), is release
      those scripts with a notice that says "These are pirated scripts from
      Internet Zahav. Please do not use the source, but you can get ideas freely
      from them".

      > Chen is in the opinion that the company should be first
      > persuaded at all levels, lawyers included, but since that is too much
      > bother, a busy tech worker won't always take up the task.

      I'm not sure lawyers have to be included: managerial concent is enough for
      me.

      management-sucks-ly y'rs, Z.
      --
      Moshe Zadka <moshez@...>