Re: [hackers-il] Re: H E L P ! ! !

    Message 1 of 48 , May 9, 2002
      On Thu, May 09, 2002, Shlomi Fish wrote about "[hackers-il] Re: H E L P ! ! !":

      > Amir, is this a joke? Did somebody hack your computer? What's going on
      > here?

      Shlomi, this was obviously a joke :)
      It was a parody on the questions we've seen on this list lately, with all
      the annoying elements (bad spelling, offending comments, beginner questions,
      insistance of fast reply, etc.) mixed into one message...

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Thursday, May 9 2002, 27 Iyyar 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I put a dollar in one of those change
      Message 48 of 48 , May 14, 2002
        On 14 May 2002, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

        > Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> writes:
        >
        > > Moshe Bar seems to take the other extreme, making very
        > > bells-and-whistles-ful lectures.
        >
        > Actually, his slides are quite simple, usually just bullet points, no
        > graphics, let alone animations or other distractions.

        From what I remember from his last lecture I attended (the 2.5.x kernel
        roadmap), he had a lot of animations and other curious effects.

        > > But he is very good at making them, and they are very fun to watch.
        >
        > Which is a property of the presentation, not _just_ the slides.

        He is a good presentor. But his slides are also very good. A good point is
        that some people add redundant effects which do not add to the quality of
        the lecture. OTOH, he makes a good use of it.

        I, on my case, don't usually even bother to make sure the points appear
        individually. (albeit this is one effect which I can agree with)

        > > (I think he uses PowerPoint)
        >
        > I recall that a few years ago he gave Applix presentations (I noticed
        > that when he was booting him laptop and starting Applix before the
        > lecture). At one of his more recent appearances I asked him if he had
        > a recommendation for presentation software, and he recommended
        > StarOffice.

        Maybe he converts his StarPoint presentations to PowerPoint. I never
        seriosly worked with StarPoint, so I cannot testify for its quality. I do
        like PowerPoint, though. While I did not try it myself, I came into the
        impression that MagicPoint is sub-standard in many regards, however. Its
        HTML generation is simply large GIFs for every slide, or alternatively
        purely plain text (zero formatting or hyper-links). It generates very
        large PostScript files (a few MBs), while there's absolutely no reason it
        should do that. And it cannot convert to PowerPoint format.

        I think I'll stick to HTML generated by WebMetaLanguage for the while.