Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2002
      Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

      > What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
      > performance review?

      Yahoo!

      - to search for jobs, that is? ;-)

      > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly
      > dangerous code?

      The only thing that helps here is muttering an incantation, cf.

      http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/m.html#mutter

      unless the danger is security-related indeed, cf.

      http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/i.html#incantation

      In everyday situations, I think I don't use battle cries. I found out
      by experimenting that certain 4-letter words do provide a higher level
      of mental relief than others.

      --
      Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
      "We work by wit, and not by witchcraft,
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2002
        On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":

        > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

        I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
        www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 23 Iyyar 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"How could we possibly use sex to get
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2002
          On Sun, May 05, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
          > On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
          > >
          > > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).
          >
          > I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
          > www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

          Damn those Freudian slips!
          Obviously I meant to say "It might come in handy...."...

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 24 Iyyar 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If I were two-faced, would I be wearing
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2002
            I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

            AHARAY is to invigorate your troops, while the rest can serve the purpose but are rather directed internally.

            Just my 10 Agorot.

            -- Arik

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2002
              Why not? say it to the debugger :-)

              Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

            • Gilad Ben-Yossef
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2002
                On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 21:10, Amir Abiri wrote:
                > From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>
                >
                > > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                > code?
                >
                > "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                with a very large axe..." ;-)

                Gilad.

                --
                Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
                Code mangler, senior coffee drinker and VP SIGSEGV

                "To err is human. To realy fsck up you need a computer. For
                those really large scale disastears, an SSI cluster is a must."
              • Amir Abiri
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2002
                  From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>

                  > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                  code?

                  "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                  Then i light a cigarette, take a deep breath, and usually, feel strong
                  enough to go on...

                  --
                  http://abiri-e.com/
                  "God is a programmer".
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2002
                    > Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                    > with a very large axe..." ;-)

                    I'll quote Niven:
                    "I found your challenge verbose. In challenging a kzin, a
                    simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap."