Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 6:47 AM
      On Sun, May 05, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
      > Battle cries exist in real life as well. In WWII Soviet soliders screamed
      > "za Stalina" as they fought with the germans. Muslim fighters are known for
      > saying "Allah il Allah Akbar" before they go into certain death.

      Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

      > Sometimes I feel the need for something similar. In a somewhat smaller
      > magnitude.
      > What should the student mutter before he opens the door of the dreaded
      > department secretary?

      How about "Shma Israel"?

      > What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
      > performance review?

      How about "Screw them all!"?

      > What does a programmer cry before checking in a
      > particularly dangerous code?

      How about "F***"?

      Or "Why did I choose this profession???" (pulling out some of your hair
      while you're saying this)

      > Should GNU programmers cry "In the name of
      > Stallman" before a release?

      "In the name of the Penguin, the Sun, and the holy Ghostscript!"

      (while saying that, move your right hand on your chest as if spelling out
      the letters G P and L. Also, if you're keeping a statue of a Penguin nearby,
      kneel down and kiss its feet for extra luck).

      Other good cries:

      "Linus, Mary and Joseph!"

      and

      "Holy penguin!"

      > Modern life is colorless and boring, but sometimes a call of encourgment is
      > still in place in moments of stress.

      Judicious use of the F-word can sometimes help ;)

      [1] Please don't confuse this with "bonsai", which is a potted tree. Pnina
      Dvorin made that mistake on The Weakest Link...

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 23 Iyyar 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Seen on the back of a dump truck:
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 7:44 AM
        Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

        > What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
        > performance review?

        Yahoo!

        - to search for jobs, that is? ;-)

        > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly
        > dangerous code?

        The only thing that helps here is muttering an incantation, cf.

        http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/m.html#mutter

        unless the danger is security-related indeed, cf.

        http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/i.html#incantation

        In everyday situations, I think I don't use battle cries. I found out
        by experimenting that certain 4-letter words do provide a higher level
        of mental relief than others.

        --
        Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
        "We work by wit, and not by witchcraft,
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 7:53 AM
          On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":

          > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

          I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
          www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 23 Iyyar 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"How could we possibly use sex to get
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 8:05 AM
            On Sun, May 05, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
            > On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
            > >
            > > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).
            >
            > I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
            > www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

            Damn those Freudian slips!
            Obviously I meant to say "It might come in handy...."...

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 24 Iyyar 5762
            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If I were two-faced, would I be wearing
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 8:08 AM
              And the Israeli "Akharay" (after me)

              Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

              This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 5 8:17 AM
                I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

                AHARAY is to invigorate your troops, while the rest can serve the purpose but are rather directed internally.

                Just my 10 Agorot.

                -- Arik

                Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

              • Ofir Carny

                  Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

                • Gilad Ben-Yossef
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5 10:37 AM
                    On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 21:10, Amir Abiri wrote:
                    > From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>
                    >
                    > > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                    > code?
                    >
                    > "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                    Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                    with a very large axe..." ;-)

                    Gilad.

                    --
                    Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
                    Code mangler, senior coffee drinker and VP SIGSEGV

                    "To err is human. To realy fsck up you need a computer. For
                    those really large scale disastears, an SSI cluster is a must."
                  • Amir Abiri
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5 11:10 AM
                      From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>

                      > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                      code?

                      "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                      Then i light a cigarette, take a deep breath, and usually, feel strong
                      enough to go on...

                      --
                      http://abiri-e.com/
                      "God is a programmer".
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 5 11:42 AM
                        > Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                        > with a very large axe..." ;-)

                        I'll quote Niven:
                        "I found your challenge verbose. In challenging a kzin, a
                        simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap."