Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 6:47 AM
      On Sun, May 05, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
      > Battle cries exist in real life as well. In WWII Soviet soliders screamed
      > "za Stalina" as they fought with the germans. Muslim fighters are known for
      > saying "Allah il Allah Akbar" before they go into certain death.

      Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

      > Sometimes I feel the need for something similar. In a somewhat smaller
      > magnitude.
      > What should the student mutter before he opens the door of the dreaded
      > department secretary?

      How about "Shma Israel"?

      > What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
      > performance review?

      How about "Screw them all!"?

      > What does a programmer cry before checking in a
      > particularly dangerous code?

      How about "F***"?

      Or "Why did I choose this profession???" (pulling out some of your hair
      while you're saying this)

      > Should GNU programmers cry "In the name of
      > Stallman" before a release?

      "In the name of the Penguin, the Sun, and the holy Ghostscript!"

      (while saying that, move your right hand on your chest as if spelling out
      the letters G P and L. Also, if you're keeping a statue of a Penguin nearby,
      kneel down and kiss its feet for extra luck).

      Other good cries:

      "Linus, Mary and Joseph!"

      and

      "Holy penguin!"

      > Modern life is colorless and boring, but sometimes a call of encourgment is
      > still in place in moments of stress.

      Judicious use of the F-word can sometimes help ;)

      [1] Please don't confuse this with "bonsai", which is a potted tree. Pnina
      Dvorin made that mistake on The Weakest Link...

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 23 Iyyar 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Seen on the back of a dump truck:
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 7:13 AM
        Hi,

        I was thinking a bit about battle-cries. You know, that thing you scream as
        you leap into battle, to scare your enemies and encourge yourself.

        They are extremely common in literature. In "Lord of the Rings" Aragorn
        screams "Elendil" before slaying orcs, and the Rohirrim cry "Forth
        Eorlingas" as they ride into battle.
        In Niven's known space, the Kzinty made a motto of this: "you scream and you
        leap".
        In comic books they are about the only reason to hire writers.

        Battle cries exist in real life as well. In WWII Soviet soliders screamed
        "za Stalina" as they fought with the germans. Muslim fighters are known for
        saying "Allah il Allah Akbar" before they go into certain death.

        Sometimes I feel the need for something similar. In a somewhat smaller
        magnitude.
        What should the student mutter before he opens the door of the dreaded
        department secretary? What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
        performance review? What does a programmer cry before checking in a
        particularly dangerous code? Should GNU programmers cry "In the name of
        Stallman" before a release?

        Battle cries are intended to let off steam when the adernalin runs high, and
        to encourge one's self.
        Modern life is colorless and boring, but sometimes a call of encourgment is
        still in place in moments of stress.

        Thanks,
        Chen.
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 7:44 AM
          Chen Shapira <chen@...> writes:

          > What should a worker say to encourge himself before a
          > performance review?

          Yahoo!

          - to search for jobs, that is? ;-)

          > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly
          > dangerous code?

          The only thing that helps here is muttering an incantation, cf.

          http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/m.html#mutter

          unless the danger is security-related indeed, cf.

          http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/i.html#incantation

          In everyday situations, I think I don't use battle cries. I found out
          by experimenting that certain 4-letter words do provide a higher level
          of mental relief than others.

          --
          Oleg Goldshmidt | ogoldshmidt@...
          "We work by wit, and not by witchcraft,
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5 7:53 AM
            On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":

            > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

            I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
            www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 23 Iyyar 5762
            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |"How could we possibly use sex to get
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 8:05 AM
              On Sun, May 05, 2002, Nadav Har'El wrote about "Re: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
              > On Sun, May 05, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Battle Cries (strange and pointless pondering)":
              > >
              > > I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).
              >
              > I might come in handy, however, when doing "pair programming" (see
              > www.extremeprogramming.org) :)

              Damn those Freudian slips!
              Obviously I meant to say "It might come in handy...."...

              --
              Nadav Har'El | Sunday, May 5 2002, 24 Iyyar 5762
              Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If I were two-faced, would I be wearing
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5 8:08 AM
                And the Israeli "Akharay" (after me)

                Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

                This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 5 8:17 AM
                  I don't think it serves the same purpose. You'll never shout 'AHARAY' when you're alone facing an opponent (or a bad piece of code).

                  AHARAY is to invigorate your troops, while the rest can serve the purpose but are rather directed internally.

                  Just my 10 Agorot.

                  -- Arik

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5 8:55 AM
                    Why not? say it to the debugger :-)

                    Don't forget the Japanese cry "Banzai!" [1]

                  • Gilad Ben-Yossef
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5 10:37 AM
                      On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 21:10, Amir Abiri wrote:
                      > From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>
                      >
                      > > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                      > code?
                      >
                      > "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                      Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                      with a very large axe..." ;-)

                      Gilad.

                      --
                      Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...>
                      Code mangler, senior coffee drinker and VP SIGSEGV

                      "To err is human. To realy fsck up you need a computer. For
                      those really large scale disastears, an SSI cluster is a must."
                    • Amir Abiri
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 5 11:10 AM
                        From: "Chen Shapira" <chen@...>

                        > What does a programmer cry before checking in a particularly dangerous
                        code?

                        "I'M GONNA GET YOU, YOU LITTLE <bad word>... !!!"

                        Then i light a cigarette, take a deep breath, and usually, feel strong
                        enough to go on...

                        --
                        http://abiri-e.com/
                        "God is a programmer".
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 5 11:42 AM
                          > Thus spake Dougles Adams: "Open this door now or I will re-program you
                          > with a very large axe..." ;-)

                          I'll quote Niven:
                          "I found your challenge verbose. In challenging a kzin, a
                          simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap."