Re: [hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      On Wed, May 01, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":
      > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
      > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

      But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
      "Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

      Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
      creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
      for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
      in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
      translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
      originally aimed at achieving.

      In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
      the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
      rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
      seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

      --
      Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
      Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        On Wed, May 01, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":

        > Copy rights --> the right to copy. "Zhuyot Ha'ataka". Which does not mean that you can copy, it means that there are certain copying rights and they belong to someone.
        >
        > Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

        Yes. "Copyright" is usually followed by the name of a person or a company,
        and a phrase like "All Rights Reserved". It means the right to copy is
        reserved to the author - certainly not that you (the reader/viewer/listener/
        whatever) have this right (unless you're explicitly told that).

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          Copy rights --> the right to copy. "Zhuyot Ha'ataka". Which does not mean that you can copy, it means that there are certain copying rights and they belong to someone.

          Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

          -- Arik

          On Wed, May 01, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":
          > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
          > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

          But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
          "Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

          Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
          creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
          for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
          in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
          translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
          originally aimed at achieving.

          In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
          the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
          rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
          seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
          http://nadav.harel.org.il |is like having a peeing section in a pool

          *
          This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

        • Alon Altman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2002
            On Wed, 1 May 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

            > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
            > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

            Actually, in Israel there are two different laws:
            "hok ha-copyright" and "hok zhuyot yotzrim", in addition to several other
            laws. Search for "zhuyot yotzrim" (in hebrew) on google.co.il for a site
            about this.

            Alon

            --
            This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
            The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)