Intelectual Property laws in Israel

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      Here's an interesting article from "Haaretz", about USA pressure on Israel
      to toughen our IP laws.
      http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=158068&contrassID
      =2&subContrassID=6&sbSubContrassID=0

      I'm not sure if anyone in the Knesset plans to do anything about it, but I
      think following the matter is a good idea. I'd rather not wake up one
      morning and see that we are copying objectionable IP laws from the US while
      I slept.

      BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
      Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

      Thanks,
      Chen.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        On Wed, May 01, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":
        > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
        > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

        But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
        "Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

        Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
        creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
        for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
        in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
        translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
        originally aimed at achieving.

        In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
        the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
        rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
        seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

        --
        Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
        Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          On Wed, May 01, 2002, Arik Baratz wrote about "RE: [hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":

          > Copy rights --> the right to copy. "Zhuyot Ha'ataka". Which does not mean that you can copy, it means that there are certain copying rights and they belong to someone.
          >
          > Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

          Yes. "Copyright" is usually followed by the name of a person or a company,
          and a phrase like "All Rights Reserved". It means the right to copy is
          reserved to the author - certainly not that you (the reader/viewer/listener/
          whatever) have this right (unless you're explicitly told that).

          --
          Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
          Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2002
            Copy rights --> the right to copy. "Zhuyot Ha'ataka". Which does not mean that you can copy, it means that there are certain copying rights and they belong to someone.

            Disclaimers: IANAL, AFAIK, IMHO

            -- Arik

            On Wed, May 01, 2002, Chen Shapira wrote about "[hackers-il] Intelectual Property laws in Israel":
            > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
            > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

            But watch out: a "Producer" in English is not "Yozer", even though
            "Produce" is "Tozeret" and "Product" is "Muzar".

            Rather, A producer in English is the "Mafik", someone who manages the
            creation (financially, administratively) but not the artist responsible
            for the actual creation>. The "Yozer", is the artist (also called "author"
            in some domains of creation). So "Zchuyot Yozrim" is probably better
            translated as "Artist's Rights", which is indeed what copyright law was
            originally aimed at achieving.

            In any case, I don't think Zchuyot Yotzrim was ever meant to be exactly
            the same term as copyright. Hebrew books usually write "copyright" (or
            rather, the C in the circle), as well as "All rights reserved" - I never
            seen any book refer to the term "Zchuyot Yozrim".

            --
            Nadav Har'El | Wednesday, May 1 2002, 20 Iyyar 5762
            Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Having a smoking section in a restaurant
            http://nadav.harel.org.il |is like having a peeing section in a pool

            *
            This email has been scanned by Port Authority.

          • Alon Altman
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2002
              On Wed, 1 May 2002, Chen Shapira wrote:

              > BTW. Did you notice that in Hebrew "copyright" translate as "Producers
              > Rights"? (Zkhuyot Yotzrim) Interesting shift of focus, don't you think?

              Actually, in Israel there are two different laws:
              "hok ha-copyright" and "hok zhuyot yotzrim", in addition to several other
              laws. Search for "zhuyot yotzrim" (in hebrew) on google.co.il for a site
              about this.

              Alon

              --
              This message was sent by Alon Altman (alon@...) ICQ:1366540
              The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)